69 Dart Trunk Lift Supports in action

-
Cool! We need details like what are the lift cylinders from originally? How did you attach them to the trunk hinges?
Nice job!

George

Very nice..that works good. I did that to my hood.:cheers:

p1010074hoodup.jpg

Cool! We need details like what are the lift cylinders from originally? How did you attach them to the trunk hinges?
Nice job!

George

Trial and error is how the lift supports were picked. Thanks to the local napa store for letting me try 10 different supports. I tried using just one on the drivers side. After a 120lb support didn't lift it I had to add to switch to two. They are 17.5" total length and 90lb lift. The brackets are also from napa. I used a 90 for the bottom mount and a straight bracket for the hinge. They both use the 10mm ball style connector.

Very nicely done, and thanks for passing the part number information along to us.

I've been playing with this for a while, but been having a hard time figuring placement, and what struts to use. The ones for sale at the local Advance auto parts, have no mention of the weight rating on the strut or on the packaging.
Even if the parts guys look up the numbers, and the application for a certain strut, it still doesn't tell the weight rating. Even on the company's website.

I noticed you completely removed your old torsion rods, I've been working to ad a strut to assist the original weak rods. But I like your method.

Skep419, I hope you've cleaned up that trunk by now, that's about the dirtiest trunk I've ever seen...lol

Just teasin ya

My stock bars ripped the metal support. It's nice not having to lift at all. It opens by itself and won't fall on your head.

It is fairly clean now. I lived on a gravel road. With the trunk seal all jacked it got pretty dusty hahahaha

First off, nice idea, nice work and ingenuity.

I do have a question though. What advantage does this offer over the stock setup with the bars?

His old bars were probably like mine, they were so worn out that they would no longer hold the trunk lid up.
And like his, my original bars had destroyed the sheet metal where they sit on one end. I made a bracket to support that end of the rod, but still need to add the struts to get the lid to stay open.

I'll post some pics of what I'm doing, probably later today.

Not a bad idea. I use a practice katana to keep my trunk open. The rods just don't work anymore.

Not a bad idea. I use a practice katana to keep my trunk open. The rods just don't work anymore.

I was using a 2x4, looks pretty bad at a car show when you have to prop the trunk open with a board so you can get your stuff out.

Ok, here's a few pics of how I did mine.

They are almost invisible with the trunk open, you don't really notice them at all.

I took a 5/16" bolt and ground the head down, then welded it to the end of the existing torsion rod, did this on both of them.

Then mounted my strut straight forward along the wheel well. The pics are pretty much self explanatory.

Right now with only one strut on it, it will hold the trunk open in any position, 1/4 open, 1/2 open, etc. From about 2/3 open the strut will take over and open it the rest of the way.

Pics are of the drivers side, but I have the passenger side set up the same way, just need to run to the auto parts store and get a second strut.
I think once the second strut is on, the truck will open by itself when I pop the latch.

Attachments

• S5005293.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 314
  • S5005296.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 342
  • S5005304.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 306
  • S5005306.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 332
Just installed just like skep419 worked like a charm. Used some ebay parts total cost about $28 Bucks

Used Guden 90 pound gas springs, P/N GGN22-120-C for a "soft opening". I also tried Guden 120 springs but they were little forceful, I didn't want a negative load on the trunk latch. Here is a picture of my hinges after the modification. Call Guden and ask for Karen Kavanaugh. Here is the URL
Guden Hinges and Industrial Hardware

N4Y2vC6yQfqta24Z+t09lA.jpg

Ok, here's a few pics of how I did mine.

They are almost invisible with the trunk open, you don't really notice them at all.

I took a 5/16" bolt and ground the head down, then welded it to the end of the existing torsion rod, did this on both of them.

Then mounted my strut straight forward along the wheel well. The pics are pretty much self explanatory.

Right now with only one strut on it, it will hold the trunk open in any position, 1/4 open, 1/2 open, etc. From about 2/3 open the strut will take over and open it the rest of the way.

Pics are of the drivers side, but I have the passenger side set up the same way, just need to run to the auto parts store and get a second strut.
I think once the second strut is on, the truck will open by itself when I pop the latch.
That looks fantastic

-
Back