69 Dart Wheel offset

-

Milo3156

Reaction score
I am moving my leef springs inward using a spring relo kit. the new bracket will be attached to the frame rail so i can fit a wider tire on rear. Does anyone know what the offset for the wheel needs to be to maximize the space? I havent decided on the wheel size yet, thinking maybe 15" steel wheels or 19" aluminum...... Also what is the widest tire that will fit? I was thinking 13"

Thanks in advance!

I am moving my leef springs inward using a spring relo kit. the new bracket will be attached to the frame rail so i can fit a wider tire on rear. Does anyone know what the offset for the wheel needs to be to maximize the space? I havent decided on the wheel size yet, thinking maybe 15" steel wheels or 19" aluminum...... Also what is the widest tire that will fit? I was thinking 13"

Thanks in advance!

So you moved the springs inboard 3" correct? Is this car mini tubbed or does it have factory tubs? If factory tubs, 275's are about as far as it goes I believe. With mini tubs, around315/335's. I assume you want to know the offset for the wheels with a factory width rear?

Oh and welcome to the site from another KS member!

Thanks!

Yes it has the factory rear end, and the factory tubs. It looks like there is plenty of room for a large tire possibly bigger than a 275, but im only assuming. what do you think the offset should be?

I have not installed the relo kits yet but after looking closer it appears they won't do me any good without a mini tub. So how big of a tire can I get under there with offset shackles? And what size of wheel with what offset?

Thanks

In factory wheel wells, 275 is about it. Your stuffing a 10inch wide tire into around an 11inch space. Trimming the fender lip can gain you a bit more, but its tight. Offset can depend on a few factors with the axle. I'm having to use 5inch backspace 15inch wheels to work with my mods, which includes springs moved in, Dr Diff 5x4.5 axles and rear disks.

In factory wheel wells, 275 is about it. Your stuffing a 10inch wide tire into around an 11inch space. Trimming the fender lip can gain you a bit more, but its tight. Offset can depend on a few factors with the axle. I'm having to use 5inch backspace 15inch wheels to work with my mods, which includes springs moved in, Dr Diff 5x4.5 axles and rear disks.

Thank you! I think a 275 will be plenty especially if i dont have to do mini tubs and frame work for spring relo kit. So a 275 will work with standard spring offsets? At this time i havent made up my mind if i am going with 15" cop wheels or if i want to do a 18"-20" aluminum wheel. with only doing the offset shackles do i have to use a 15" wheel or does it not matter?

Thanks

You don't mention your wheels bolt pattern..

If it's the original small bolt pattern (4x5 bolt circle),, your choice of wheels will be extemely limited..

You may want to consider changing to the later "big bolt" (4 1/2 x 5) pattern to avail yourself of a better wheel selection..

There are a buncha threads on how to change-over if you do a "search"

You don't mention your wheels bolt pattern..

If it's the original small bolt pattern (4x5 bolt circle),, your choice of wheels will be extemely limited..

You may want to consider changing to the later "big bolt" (4 1/2 x 5) pattern to avail yourself of a better wheel selection..

There are a buncha threads on how to change-over if you do a "search"

Sorry they are 4.5 x 5

Also there aren't many wheel options for 15x8 5x4.5 5"bs wheels. I ended up buying some pacer 5 spoke wheels that are 5.5"bs and run a 1/2" spacer. (3" wheels studs for when the slicks are mounted)

275/60R15 are very tight even with the 3" inboard kit. I used the old spring perches as a guide and it wasn't exactly centered. (rubs on the outside on one side and inside on the other) eventually going to correct it with new perches but just a heads up.

So you have an 8-3/4 with LBP Axles? With that combo of rear, axle and 11"x"2 drums I fit 17x8 with a 5.25 BS and a 245/45/17 tire, so a 10 wide rim would be in the 6.25 to 6.5 back spacing. But i suggest you measure. Use a square and tape measure. An extra had helps here.

-
Back