69' Dodge Dart Resto/Upgrade in NY

-
I do have a 69 4spd console to compare to, but trying to compare apples to apples.
Got a better pic of console upside down? Also a couple of the problem areas on bracket and console. Unfortunately I just reinstalled my console or I could confirm measurements.

69 4spd.

20211224_123817.jpg

20211224_123828.jpg

20211224_123839.jpg

20211224_123847.jpg

Here are the pictures showing the AMD bracket, the console and why it doesn't fit.
You can see that plastic strip which interferes with the bracket going down into place:
brack 4.jpg
brack 3.jpg
brack 2.jpg
brack 1.jpg

Bad news on the 340 block.
The engine guy called today and after hot tanking the block, 6 of 8 cylinders will need sleeving. He wants to do all 8 at this point. So all that plus cam bearings and decking the block will be around $2000.

Weighing my options… I have to call him back soon and let him know if I want to go ahead or scrap the project. :-(

That sucks, BUT from what I've read here, new sleeves=new block when done properly? Yes if it needs 6 do all 8. I'm no machinist/engine builder though.
Glad ya got the brackets figured out!
Bad news on the 340 block.
The engine guy called today and after hot tanking the block, 6 of 8 cylinders will need sleeving. He wants to do all 8 at this point. So all that plus cam bearings and decking the block will be around $2000.

Weighing my options… I have to call him back soon and let him know if I want to go ahead or scrap the project. :-(

Yeah I’m pretty bummed.
Really wanted to do a small block but I might be forced to use my 440 instead.

Really wanted to stay 340 for the ease of the swap (I’m not a great mechanic) and I heard putting a 440 in a Dart is a real pain in the butt (which I wanted to avoid).

Maybe try a 360. Many more available at a smaller cost than a 340. Try calling Ontario Truck Parts to see if they have a core. Also, your machine shop might have a good idea where to get one. You could go with a Magnum, but my first choice would be an LA. By the time you put a 440 in it, you'll be spending a lot on stuff to make it fit.

Like what, besides motor mount adapters, custom headers, mini starter and disc brakes up front?
Like Steve said, torsion bars. But you'll pile up the bills pretty quickly as that stuff has gotten expensive recently. You'll get close to $2K PDQ. TTI headers $1000, disc brakes figure $300-$800, motor mounts brackets $150 if you can find them, starter $80-$150, torsion bars $325+... Since Schumacher's engine swap stuff isn't available for now, you'd need to scrounge for stuff. Maybe find a Direct Connection big block K-member, also expensive.
But a 440 Dart is a sick car!

Will the big block headers fit with the power steering?

I also have air conditioning. Would there be enough room for that as well or would I have to give it up?

Will the big block headers fit with the power steering?

I also have air conditioning. Would there be enough room for that as well or would I have to give it up?

TTI says their full length headers do not fit,
https://ttiexhaust.com/TTi383440-134.htm

But their shorty headers will. Better ground clearance, too.
https://ttiexhaust.com/TTi44025.htm

You might need to go to a mini Sanden compressor for your A/C. The big old V-Twin might not clear your hood with a 440.

The shorty headers are only rated to 475HP. Ugh... I'll be making way more then that.

There are power steering options, like Borgeson or electric assist. Both expensive, I'm afraid.

Well, now that the plan to do the 340 is dead, on to the 440 big block.
It is a HP 440 dated 1970. I posted the VIN below in case this is a long lost engine for someone.
Got it on the engine stand and started tearing it down.
It has been sitting for 20+ years so it is seized up but still looks in WAY better condition than the 340.

Bottom 1.jpg

Bottom 2.jpg

Bottom 3.jpg

Serial.jpg

VIN.jpg

I'm seeing 2C in the VIN
That would mean that the 440 came from a 1972 car built at the Jefferson Ave. plant.
Probably most likely the car was a C-body?

Last edited:
The date on the block is 10-19-70. Must have been sitting around the factory a while.

Will I have to notch my Slant 6 K-Frame like this to get the 440 to fit?
(and will I have to use solid motor mounts?)

notch.jpg

Also, what do I NEED to do to this Slant 6 Dart to handle the power of the 440.
I'm guessing the 440 will have 500-600HP when done.
Would just subframe connectors be enough to keep things from twisting?

Took the 1970 HP 440 apart today.
Looks really good! Even got it to turn over by hand. Pistons came out WAY easier than the 340. I think this is going to be a great block to build off of:
bare440.jpg

Also, can anyone tell me what this is circled in yellow?
It is some kind of steel pin that looks like it runs off the camshaft but it is plugged on the outer end. Thought it had something to do with the fuel pump at first but I don't think so.
Inkedbarefront_LI.jpg

You're right, that's a fuel pump rod. The block off plate is used with an electric fuel pump. That rod is often removed, but it doesn't hurt to just sit there.

Well, finally got the word from the machine shop that the 440 block is good to go!
About to place order on thousands of dollars for parts from 440 source (trying to keep the engine build around $10k).
500 cubic inch stroker kit, Trick Flow 240 heads and RPM intake.

Question: I figure on making 550 to 600HP with this motor (maybe a 150hp shot of nitro down the road). Would just welding in subframe connectors be enough for body/frame to handle the power or would I need more?
*This will be mainly street driven but I intend to participate in events like Drag Week.

-
Back