69 Notch Barracuda - Rebirth

-
Thanks. I should have clarified what I’m after. Generally speaking, from what I’m reading, it sounds like 4-hole for low end TQ, and open for top end HP. I’m after low end, so ill stick with the 4-hole for now. Summit QA said the same.

What prompted my question was watching this:

engine masters dynoed carb spacers and from memory the general concensus was 4 hole on single plane and single hole on a dual plane.
neil.

Last edited:
this is what i mentioned https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/carb-spacers-gimmick-or-gold/123998/
generally though a light car with a big motor (lots of torque) can benefit from losing some of that torque to improve drivability. what i mean is you can actually pull away without smoking the tyres without meaning to. even an rv 440 will effortlessly smoke the tyres in an A body, my old 65 dart had a 440 from a 70's ramcharger and was way faster than it handled. i fitted a single plane inlet with a 750 vac' sec' holley and it was a handful for sure.
neil.

Last edited:
Thanks for the extra info. Very much appreciated!

this is what i mentioned https://www.motortrendondemand.com/detail/carb-spacers-gimmick-or-gold/123998/
generally though a light car with a big motor (lots of torque) can benefit from losing some of that torque to improve drivability. what i mean is you can actually pull away without smoking the tyres without meaning to. even an rv 440 will effortlessly smoke the tyres in an A body, my old 65 dart had a 440 from a 70's ramcharger and was way faster than it handled. i fitted a single plane inlet with a 750 vac' sec' holley and it was a handful for sure.
neil.

Drove out into WI to buy a set of 452 heads today. This was in the seller’s garage (factory 440 4 speed car, # matching drive train). In one of his other garages was a 69 Barracuda that he was building for street/strip.. sitting next to it was a crate 392 Hemi with headers and K member already bolted up and ready to go.

72A7538A-6B5E-4396-A719-BD0D43CAD869.jpeg

Last edited:
Intake and carb are on... mocking up and routing the fuel lines for the new (cheap) dual fuel inlet fitting. Decided to route a hard line to and up and over the distributor... then a soft line down between the heater hoses to the the pump. Seems pretty slick. Should be enough room to rotate and pull the distributor out under the hard line if needed.

I have a new throttle cable bracket on the way (mancini).

Also, the top pic shows a 1” carb spacer, but I don’t have the height needed to run it.

I did have to cut an air cleaner notch out of the rear of the inner hood scoop as well.

59B42F0B-A4EE-4BC4-9DDC-A42BD5440430.jpeg

2F634C83-2BE2-4A85-9B0D-33A28523537D.jpeg

93A6401C-D81B-445E-9D60-16680D44488C.jpeg

D92C10A0-894A-4623-9D31-7CCFEB2C9F1F.jpeg

5741EF71-9273-4869-BF94-B60590CCF60E.jpeg

Last edited:
She fired right up. I had to wait out the 95* heat and take care of a fuel leak at the primary inlet (several times), but overall, :thumbsup:. PSI running at 7 (according to el cheapo gauge) . Still a few tweaks to go. Not happy with the throttle return spring/idle speed, and have to make sure my 4-port mixture screws are setup well, but lookin good!

https://youtube.com/shorts/k-p6SWs0ZM0?feature=share

Last edited:
Awesome foundation to start with. Know this, factory 383's were not available with power steering. However conversion mounts and headers are available now so you may install that big block and keep your power steering. Www.engine-swaps.com
old thread, i know

our 69 'Cuda 383 S, has power steering and brakes from factory.
Of course its a FB, not notch if that makes a difference?? (same engine compartment space).

-
Back