69 Valiant - Rookie

-
You having fun yet? Sure looks like it?? Looks like your kids are...

Welcome, glad to see another guy with another 69 Valiant 100 here. Looks like you are off to a good start!. Very glad you fixed the spring problem the correct way. Much better.
If you want to keep that floor rust at bay forever.. check out POR 15 products. With that little rust I wouldn't worry about replacing floorpans.. it's much worse here in the middle of the US and gets worse as you head east.. that scale is nothing!
If you want to make a major apperance difference and the budget is tight.. consider doing as much prep work yourself and painting it white.. mine was much worse than yours and it was amazing what a $300 96 Chrysler Bright White paint job did for it. (1990 dollars). One of the easiest colors to match, hides less than perfect body work well. Only problem is is seems everybody re-doing these has a Jones for white just lately!
Looking forward to seeing your progress.. I can use all the inspiration I can get!

Alan

My avatar pic is what I aspire to with mine.. it isn't anywhere near that nice yet!

Nice looking valiant keep up the good work. Since you painted yours black I had to go see if mind was still outside.lol looks like my twin. Keep plugin away. I get the looks from people because they don't know what kind of car it is. The guy I got mine from bought it thinking it was nova. Good luck with it. Dave

Yep getting the "nice nova" comment a lot. Actually had someone recognize it for what it is yesterday, which is nice considering all the emblems are off except for the Plymouth one on the hood.

I had mine called a Rambler, a Nova and a Roadrunner when it was sitting at a friend's shop with the grille and all the lights removed to prep it for paint.
Not so odd I guess.. they are all built for a similar purpose and (except for a RR) in the same size class. Funny how grandma cars make such wonderful performance cars.

Alan

I figured you might want to get some idea of what Valiants look like in various colors.. some pics are from the net and some are members cars from here at FABO.. feel free to claim your rides! Nice cars everybody. I wouldn't write off your original blue.. pretty partial to the blue/blue combination myself!
I am curious about your too much blue comment.. why will a car with matching color wheels get vandalized more than one with black wheels? Just curious.. gang thing?
Thank God I don't have to worry about that stuff... yet.

Alan

Attachments

• $T2eC16FHJGwE9n)ySc9ZBP52YOSm(g~~60_3.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 520
  • $(KGrHqVHJDME-lqFKmyNBPuZOoE-sg~~60_12.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 502
  • DSC_1991.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 504
  • 538836_294454290644596_261309937292365_622109_1089727777_n.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 521

Attachments

• THE FRIDGINATOR 3.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 507
Yeah, the gangs in this area can be ridiculous. I remember when I was a kid, my mom drove a buick skylark that was nearly identical to one driven by a known drug dealer. She would constantly get hassled in it.

Still weighing color options but leaning heavily towards candy tangerine.

I got the gas tank grommet changed out, and next thing on my list is the turn signal switch.

Still mystified over the blue wheel thing..is blue a gang color where you live? Red vs blue, bloods vs crips or something like that? Never lived wear I had to worry about such things.. just curious.
Another color to consider would be that metallic copper they have been putting on late model Mopars.. there was another 69 Valiant race car on the net for a while and it looked very sharp.
If I can find the pix i saved I'll post a few for you.

Alan

Well, this isn't the one I was looking for, but this appears to be a candy tangerine color.. sorry about the watermarks, but you would have to pay Shutterstock a heap o' money to get the unmarked versions. Still, you get the idea...
Guaranteed they won't miss you coming with this color!

Attachments

• 86212135.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 811
  • 86212132.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 461
  • 86212129.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 882
  • 86212126.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 537
That's the kind of look I want to go for, definitely.

I cleaned up the engine bay a bit today. Sorry no pictures, though. I can actually see the original paint under where the grime was on the passenger side of the motor. Looks to be blue/green. Cleaned a bunch of gunk off the k-frame also and tightened down the valve cover and oil pan. Hoping that will be the solution to the oil leak that seems to have plagued this car for a decade. I never have any drips on the ground, but it sure looked nasty under there.

Found this color on TCP Global. Looks like there's different kits available. What kind do you guys recommend for a newbie? It seems like the Urethane Basecoat/Clearcoat kit would be the best one to get but I'm not sure. Other options are Acrylic enamel, ultra flow, single stage urethane, acrylic laquer. What's the difference?

http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/rsp2914.aspx

Well you're getting there. Nice job so far. I've seen a lot of Valiants on the road but most of them are 4 doors which in my opinion are not worth restoring. If you're ever in Grass Valley look me up, I'd like to see it.

Interlux brightside single stage urethane, cost me about $450 for everything.
I purposely wanted a low-key color because (a) it was originally a granny car not a musclecar and (b) i can paint some Ford cop-car steelies to match the body color and put some poverty caps on it for a serious sleeper look (the wheels have to be 17s to clear the brakes). Color is a matter of personal preference, but if you're willing to spend some time and sweat, you can do the paint work yourself with decent results.
good luck! -pauly

Attachments

• 7-22-12 007_1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 434
  • 7-22-12 020_1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 432
  • 7-22-12 024_1.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 437
Otateral, I found a bunch of pics posted on Moparts the other day in a Valiant thread..
including about 8 that were the same car I use as my avatar and the Fridginator poster I made.. that "plain old white paint" is starting to grow on me again. Not like I've made a decision though, and it's tough.. these things look cool in so many colors.
My original intent was to make it a sleeper, but around here there really isn't a reason to. No street racing scene anymore, and even if there was, it's nice to have a clean record and low insurance rates.
I'm still considering silver, which works well, or some sort of metallic medium blue.. I keep seeing a color on Mazda 3's I like, and there is also Surf Blue that Dodge uses.
If you want to see what these look like in other coplors, I might have a picture of one in that shade.. I have plenty of them saved!
Hope to see some progress pictures soon, as mine is on long term hold right now and I need inspiration!

Pauly, btw, yours looks great.. and has me thinking again... darn it! I guess if all that white gets to be too much, a guy could always do one of those wrap things.. then the possibilites are endless!
V I guess white isn't boring after all!
Alan

Attachments

• 25792425-670-8-second-Valiant.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 431
  • 538836_294454290644596_261309937292365_622109_1089727777_n.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 412
  • 5556357-MVC-002F.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 452
  • 5555598-valiantwhite.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 429
  • copper-valiant2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 428
By the way, if you have filth to get rid of, hit the Wal-mart and buy a gallon of this stuff and a good spray bottle.. about 1/2 an inch of this and the rest water will kick the snot of of grime. Not many products I'd recommend but this and Rain-X I do. If there is grease under the paint beware... it will remove it too!

http://www.supercleanbrands.com/

Nothing very visible to show, but did the ammeter bypass. Still need to hookup a voltmeter so will likely do that next week.

In another month, I'm probably going to convert to discs and also want to take it in to have the exhaust redone. Want to get a Flowmaster 40. Considering dual exhaust, but not sure on the benefits.

Continuing to work on the body and blocking. Not easy when its my daily driver and parked outdoors. But I should take advantage of dry months. Hope to get it painted in the spring.

Considering going to 2bbl with the super six setup. Also want to get an aftermarket wiring harness, aftermarket gauges, sound system and bucket seats. Going to build my own console.

Any other suggestions?

Long time no update. But I've done some things.

Did a bit more wiring to improve bad connections. New battery and alternator. Old alt bit the dust and the battery was fairly old, so switched it out as part of the troubleshooting.

Also got a new carburetor, new plugs, wires, and adjusted the valves. Today, I got new exhaust installed. 2 1/4" pipes to a flowmaster 40, and 2" out the back. The video doesn't quite do it justice, but here you go.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTgWOD5MrtE"]69 Plymouth Valiant Slant Six 225 exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

i noticed you had shoulder belts in the back seat ,what are they out of,are they stock.i have a 69 signet and i am trying to figure out belts for my kids booster seats.

I ordered them from wecoperformance.com You can get an extra set of backing plates to install behind the sheetmetal to make them anchored down. The website has some good instructions. Be prepared to jackup your headliner though. But safety is safety. My kids love riding with me.

thanks i will check them out,all my kids want to do is ride in my cars and none of them have shoulder belts.

Lowered the front end today with the Torsion Bar. It was crazy high before, way above stock. Now it's just an inch, maybe 2 inches below stock. The handling so far is immensely better. I knew the handling was bad before, but it's tough to realize just how bad it is until its better. I had always just assumed that's the way the car was meant to handle! Bringing the car in on saturday to get an alignment, but so far so good.

Will post pics of before/after later.

-
Back