6cyl intake swap

-

74duster

Reaction score
I have 2 6cyls laying next to each other on my floor. One is bad (came out of the Scamp) and one is good (came out of the Duster and is going into the Scamp). I took the 904 off the bad engine and put it on the good one today. That went pretty well.
Next on the agenda is to swap the exhaust manifolds. (One is cracked most of the way through, and of course its on the good engine.) I've never done this on a slant six before, and it looks like a major pain. Is there anything I should know before I do this? Any tricks or cautions? Open to any advice you might have.
Thanks

I have never dun one ether, So may be a tec will jump in and walk us booth through it.

Replace them as a unit, if you can rather then seperate them, and us penetrating oil before you start, let it soak.

Soak them with lube and replenish often. And remember that the rounded ends of the washers go against the manifold-it lets them walk with temp. changes.

If you are going thru all that trouble, why not set up a "Super Six" in your ride? Oh, Mopar makes a GREAT penetrating oil for breaking loose crusty bolts,too

I did this to my 74 about a few months ago. i even put a super six setup in it too. I did replace both the exhaust and intake manifolds as a unit but if you take them apart there is a crazy gasket you have to replace. The super six setup was a cool idea but i cant get a good carb so it runs a little rich :( but i did see an increase in power. If you go super you have to upgrade the exhaust system for sure ( 2 1/2 and i chose a Borla muffler for sound) otherwise you wont see much a difference due to the restriction. One bad thing wit the super set up is that i caught hell trying to locate the kickdown linkage for it. Maybe a cable would work better?

There is a GREAT article on this subject on slantsix.org on the main page. I cant stress enough to use PB Blaster NOT WD40 to loosen up the nuts. DO this for 2-3 days before you attempt to remove them. Dont forget the one up under the middle. You will need a 1/4 drive with a universal or wobble joint to get to that one. Take your time and keep putting PB on there.
Any Questions PM me.
Frank

Dont forget the one up under the middle. You will need a 1/4 drive with a universal or wobble joint to get to that one.

Yeah, wait till you try this sometime with the engine in the car. LOADS of fun! :) Don't worry — it gets easier with practice.

Got both intakes off tonight! I soaked them down for a couple days, and they both came off easily. The bad one was actually broken all the way through, not just cracked like I thought.
Thanks for the help,
Rob

PDR_0359.jpg

Got both intakes off tonight! I soaked them down for a couple days, and they both came off easily. The bad one was actually broken all the way through, not just cracked like I thought.
Thanks for the help,
Rob

The one that was broken looks like a good candidate for the back half for the Dutra Duals.

That's something I've never seen before. I don't think I'll be spending that much time on the /6, though. I'm going to get this back into the Scamp as soon as I can. Then it'll be on to the BB Duster project!

-
Back