7 1/4 Axle shaft bearings and seals

-

demonmike70

Reaction score
Ok here's my question. I have 7 1/4 differential in a 1972 demon. 318 v8 with 10 inch drum brakes. In need bearings and seals . I am dealing with a older parts guy who knows his ****. Some catalogs show different bearings and seals for 9 and 10 inch brakes, others show the same numbers for both. Any one else have this problem before ?

Yes. And it took about 5 minutes for me to realize that when it was all over you have something that looks like a golf cart rear end that won't take much beating. Counter guys just shook their head, especially when I started talking different gear and Sure Grip. And I know, that's just my opinion. Lot of people think they will live just fine. I understand wanting to keep everything factory and original but is it really worth it? Could have pieced parted an
8 3/4 but my son was ready to drive. Ford 8.8 was the best decision for us.

So after more research, l found all 8 1/ 4 differentials up to 1972 take the smaller seal and bearing. $60.00 in parts, the noise is gone. Can't swap too a bigger differential that cheap. Found one pit in the outer race on the right side.

-
Back