7 1/4 axles?

-

dusterforever

Reaction score
I have a 73 duster with slant six and 5 on 4 pattern rear axles. I also have a 74 duster with 318 v8 and 7 1/4 rear axles with 5 on 4 1/2 pattern. My question is will the axles interchange? has anyone ever done this?

ull be ok...just do it and pt gears in it like 4.10s..it will make ur car fun till it blows and the n upgrade to 83/4..lol..and i beat the **** out of my old 71/4 and it never broke so ull be fine and gears will make ur car alot funne rfor cheap...my 2 cents ....

Kind of wondering about this too.

I have a couple of sbp 7 1/4's, but a lbp 7 1/4 in the car itself. It'd be nice to know I could just throw the lbp axles in the sbp rear if I need to.

No difference in # of splines, or diameter of the axle seals?

Thanks,

CE

wondering if this thread wouldn't do better over in the transmission and drive train section???

The complete axle assembly will swap as a direct bolt-in. Switching components between the two, I'm not so sure.

I know that the LBP axles off a '73-up rear end will not go into a '72 or earlier housing. The shafts are a larger diameter, the bearings are different, and IIRC the splines aren't the same either. The whole thing looked like they'd beefed it up. I am not sure if the '73 and later SBP halfshafts are the same as the '72 and earlier ones, or are like the '73 and later design only drilled for a different bolt pattern.

As long as the outside axle tube diameter is the same, you should have no problems.

I did this with the Demon. Managed to find a 75 7¼ with a 3.23 SG. Bolted up with no problems.

The housing on 73 up LBP 7-1/4 tapers from a 2-1/2" tube up to 3" at the end where the bearings go and backing plates bolt on. So I dont think the bearings and retainers would fit on a 4" pattern housing unless it does this as well. The whole rear will swap no problem.
The axles in a 7.25 can be easily removed, as they are not retained by c clips and can be unbolted from the backing plates and pulled out.

-
Back