7-1/4 cover plate differences?

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys:

Quick question...did the shape of the 7-1/4 rear change at some point? I thought I read somewhere that they had changed somehow by the time they were going under M-body Diplomats, Gran Furies and Fifth Avenues.

Thanks!

67 views so far. We're only talking about 7-1/4 axles, not bromances here. Speak up.

I think you may have come up with an all time stumper. In over 45 years of crawling under Mopars I can truthfully say I have never taken a good look at a 7 1/4" rear end. I could never get past those spindly axle tubes...

Hey TylerW... Yes, the 7.25 did change. Went from 9bolt cover to 10bolt cover in early 70's. See link:

http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php/topic,73.0.html

I ran into this not that long ago myself. Blew the gears in my 71 swinger and tried to order a new set and they sent me a 7.25, but wouldn't fit. Did some diggin and found the above site then found a used one and swapped gears. Very frustrating.

Good spotters guide, but leaves out the 10 bolt cover....

Thank you so much. I thought I had seen that link before but never could find it again. You potentially saved me from a boo-boo.:cheers:

why are there no pictures of this 10 bolt cover. I mean actual photos. that was definitely an 80's thing

-
Back