7 1/4" Lubrication

-

gtaw

Reaction score
I'm going to check the grease today and I was wondering what kind of lube you all use. It's in a 66 Dodge if that makes any difference.

Jim

80-90 should be good where you live cuzit gets so cold... unless you have something thinner.

but its gear oil not grease

Yeah I know it's oil, but I've always called it grease for some reason. Probably what my pops calls it ;)

I'll see what's available at the parts store today.

If you are lucky enough to have a 7 1/4 sure grip, dont forget to add the Limited Slip Additive.

If you get the GL-5 rated gear oil, it's made for either sure grip or not. They make in muligrades too.....85-140W for instance.

It gets pretty hot there in the summer too! I don't know of any Hypoid gear oil with a lower viscosity rating for that application but maybe check locally and see if it's recommended with that climate. It's not an issue here in San Diego. We want the stuff that will hold up to the heat and abuse we put them through. With 50 years of wear in his 7 1/4, I doubt he'll need to worry about too tight of clearences!

It gets pretty hot there in the summer too! I don't know of any Hypoid gear oil with a lower viscosity rating for that application but maybe check locally and see if it's recommended with that climate. It's not an issue here in San Diego. We want the stuff that will hold up to the heat and abuse we put them through. With 50 years of wear in his 7 1/4, I doubt he'll need to worry about too tight of clearences!

haha yea no kidding...

I don't think it's a Sure Grip. I don't remember both wheels spinning when I had it lifted the last time, but I will check it again just to be sure.

Where I live the weather goes from 10's-20's in the winter to high 90's in the summer and everything in between. It never stays in a particular range for too long :banghead:

Tight clearances don't seem to be a problem with a 45 year old car :laughing:

So what gear lube should I use when its negative 40 outside. Im serious I live in Fairbanks Alaska and drive a 66 v200 valiant slant six that has seen better days and warmer weather if the sand that was under the carpet is an indicator. It is an amazing car that I bought as a parts car for my 65 Dart GT project and ended up driving it.

-
Back