7 1/4 Sure Grip rear end value

-

John Collins

Reaction score
I’ve seen a few 7 1/4 rear ends with Sure Grips sold, but nothing in the last three years. What’s the market for a complete 7 1/4 Sure Grip rear end and also for just the carrier? I know 7 1/4’s are hated by most and is not worth much, but the Sure Grip 3rd member is rare and has some value. I ask because I’m interested in rebuilding my open 7 1/4 and putting a Sure Grip 3rd member in it. I might sell it if there’s someone who needs/wants one, or just keep it and trade back into my current car when and if I sell it down the road. I have free time and it’s not something I’m not looking to make any real money off of. There’s a 7 1/4 Sure Grip, drum to drum available on FB marketplace and the guy wants $800 for it. That seems ridiculous to me. I figured 4-$500 would be the range, considering you can basically get an open 7 1/4 for free.

I’ve seen a few 7 1/4 rear ends with Sure Grips sold, but nothing in the last three years. What’s the market for a complete 7 1/4 Sure Grip rear end and also for just the carrier? I know 7 1/4’s are hated by most and is not worth much, but the Sure Grip 3rd member is rare and has some value. I ask because I’m interested in rebuilding my open 7 1/4 and putting a Sure Grip 3rd member in it. I might sell it if there’s someone who needs/wants one, or just keep it and trade back into my current car when and if I sell it down the road. I have free time and it’s not something I’m not looking to make any real money off of. There’s a 7 1/4 Sure Grip, drum to drum available on FB marketplace and the guy wants $800 for it. That seems ridiculous to me. I figured 4-$500 would be the range, considering you can basically get an open 7 1/4 for free.

$800.00 and it’s probably toast, it’s almost impossible finding the clutches. I had two 7.25 suregrip one stopped spinning after a couple month of laying the hammer down.

The SG is worth 250-300 and is the value in your rear end. The rest as you say has little value.
Now that is if all the internals are good. Finding parts is impossible. Last one I had the spider gear cross shafts were broken. If your going to sell it, I would take it apart and inspect it. If it is good take plenty of pictures to show the potential buyer that it is good. That will make for a quick sale.

Now that is if all the internals are good. Finding parts is impossible. Last one I had the spider gear cross shafts were broken. If your going to sell it, I would take it apart and inspect it. If it is good take plenty of pictures to show the potential buyer that it is good. That will make for a quick sale.

As someone who’s going to start looking for one, that’s great advice on what to ask for when buying one!

-
Back