7 1/4 Sure grip?

-

Cazbah362

Reaction score
OK, I have a 7 1/4 in my 71 Dart Swinger. Was a /6 904 car and I have no fender tag or build sheet. So I thought it was a going to be a one-legger. However when I took it out it spun both wheels - multiple times. Put it up on a stand and and sure enough it spin one the other would spin and it had a tag for 3:23's

Question - how common is a 7 1/4 witha sure-grip? I assume this would have to be an option for the car?

7.25 suregrip is not very common. The only real way to check is to pop the back cover off and take a look.

70Duster, yea figured the definitive would be to pop the cover, really not intersted in doing that, building a Dana 60 which will replace it. Just found it intersting to find a sure-grip in a 7.25

If you pop the cover and take picture of the rear end with the sure grip, you can sell it for quite a few bucks. Its completely worth it to make some more bucks!

What would you see to show it is or is not sure grip? I ask because mine does the same thing.

Good question! Honestly I've never seen one with the cover off and its a suregrip. I would image a set of springs would be in there (think the cone type suregrip unit in an 8.75 rear).

i had the same thing .. when i popped the cover off it had been welded..lol

As I recall I do not remember seeing a set of springs. I can not remember exactly what was in there but no springs. If I recall correctly there was 5 pinions 3 about the same size for the axle shafts and drive shaft a smaller one towards the center and a larger one in a cage.

Pretty sure any sure grip type diff is gonna have a two piece center section. I know the older clutch type 8 3/4 SGs look more like an open, but the carrier itself is a two piece housing--you'll see bolt heads on the right side of the carrier going left. If you just google images of suregrip diff you should be able to see the differences. As far as seeing springs, that is a dead giveaway to a cone type SG.

And duster is right-you can make a couple dollars if it's a real and serviceable SG 7 1/4."

I have an A-body, BBP, 7 1/4 sure grip in the garage...

Here's mine, original in the 67 Dart. It was listed on the invoice and still had the "use suregrip lube" tag on the diff cover. Thank goodness the car came with it to handle the brute force of the 273 2bbl!

41114446063060062974558.jpg

-
Back