7 1/4 to 8 1/4 rear end Swap

-

Josecuda

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm planning to change my 7.25 rear in my 72 Duster for a 8.25 I took out of a 74 Dart Sport. Since the gears are different (2.76 vs. 3.21) I know there must be a speedometer gear change for accurate speedo readings. Besides that, do I need to change parking brake cables, driveshaft or anything else? Any help is highly appreciated :cheers:

Yeah, try to use the driveshaft from the Dart Sport, if you still have it. It will be shorter than the one in your '72.

Yeah still have it but it´s in storage with some 6 or more other driveshafts that share almoast same lenghts with only a small difference. Does anyone have measurements for a 904/ 8 1/4 hook-up?

Just for the record. Did the swap last Sunday, no problem using the stock parking cables and the driveshaft out of the Dart Sport. Still searching for the correct speedo gear though.

You will need the shock plates & U bolts from the 8 1/4. The tubes are larger.

I picked up new shock plates and u bolts from summit for about $66 before shipping. And they are pretty too :) I didn't order the shock bolts, but used grade 10 bolts and some steel bushings from Ace, and they worked pretty good.

AAF-ALL60036 and AAF-ALL60037 for the spring pads and AFC-20238 for the U-bolts.

<-----Woot 100 posts.

the difference between 7.25 and 8.25 housings is 1.25 so what ever tour original drive shaft measures minus 1.25

-
Back