7 1/4 to 8 1/4 swap on a '63 ???

-

hellion_locdogg

Slant Sickness
Reaction score
Do any of you guys know of a year, make or model that would be as close to straight swap as possible? I don't mind moving spring perches but I don't want to have to rebuild an entire axle to put on my '63.

,Cliff

Do any of you guys know of a year, make or model that would be as close to straight swap as possible? I don't mind moving spring perches but I don't want to have to rebuild an entire axle to put on my '63.

,Cliff

63-76 Abodies, are all the same width.
73-76 prob big bolt pattern.

no matter what year, driveshaft will need to be modified.

So if I find an 8 1/4 rear from 63-76 it will work. Ok now what cars have 8 1/4 and do you have case #s for them so I know what to look for?

,Cliff

Any Dodge or Plymouth V-8 a-body from '73-'76 should work. The 7 1/4 rear has 2 1/2 inch diameter axle housings where as the the 8 1/4 rear has 3 inch tubes. That means you will also need the shock plates from the donor car and you'll have to use the larger size u-bolts to mount it to your springs. Another obvious difference is the differential cover for the 7 1/4 rear will have 9 bolts. The 8 1/4 rear will have 10 bolts. The 7 1/4 rear is vented through the bolt that holds the brake hose/line tee, and the 8 1/4 has an external vent tube and hood on the passenger side of the housing at the top. There are probably many more differences to point out, but these will be obvious at a glance. Hope this helps, and good luck with your project.8)8)

Hey thatnks a ton man. I just dont' want to buy what someone "thinks" is a 8 1/4 and be had. Rather know what I'm looking at/for, thanks again.

,Cliff

The drive shaft will need to be shortened 1.6" I am getting ready to do this to Nikkis 66 pretty soon.

-
Back