7 1/4 to 8 3/4, what do I all need?

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
So since the rear end went on my Dart I decided I might as well spend the money into the 8 3/4 I've got.

I know that I will need to find shock plates and U-bolts but I was also told that I'd need to switch from the 9" drums I have now, to I believe the large 10" drums?

Simply put this is what I'm starting out with and need to know all the parts I'll need. I'm having my cousin's garage do the work for me while I'm out of town.

3271h0220.jpg

If you keep the a body axles, you'll need a body 10x1.75 brakes. If you convert to the BBP you'll need B-Body brakes. That or order a set of rear disc brakes for Dr. Diff (best way to go in my opinion). Also a center section and gears (sure grip is not an option, its mandatory :twisted:). A different driveshaft and U Joints and new leaf springs.

I just did this swap a couple months ago.
Are those axles big or small bolt pattern?
If they are small, it will be tougher to find drums.
I might be forgetting something, but here's a start.
You'll need:
Backing plates, brake hardware, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, correct bolt pattern drums, brake lines, brass "T" if not on the rear already, brake hose going to the brass T, shock plates, U bolts,

8.75 carrier, gasket for carrier, gasket goop, correct gear lube (open diff or SG), nuts for carrier if you don't have 'em, yoke straps, U-joints, shorten driveshaft, you may want to change the pinion seal, and may want to change the axle seals if they're old and original.

Well now this just totally bites. Sadly it doesn't seem like I'll be able to afford the swap after all.

I'll put up a want ad for a 7 1/4 center section just to try and get the car back up and running otherwise it will have to sit until at least next year.

read the thread on the 8.8 Ford swap. I decided long ago I wouldn't spend more on the dang rear end then I'm spending on the motor and tranny combined! I think the 8.8 with disc brakes, good gears, and limited slip can be done for about $300-$400.

If i,m not mistaken you can drill a fifth hole in 7.25 backing plates and run the whole brake assembly,drum and all on a 8.75 Could be wrong though.

-
Back