7 1/4 to early b-body (1962-63) 8 3/4 swap?

-

A Mopar

Reaction score
I have access to a 1962 Dodge Dart that has an 8 3/4 rear axle in it. It is my understanding that the early b-body axles are narrower than the later ones. Would this be a relatively straight forward swap into a 72 Duster? I'm sure the spring perches would have to be moved, but other than that, would it require any other modifications to get it to fit correctly in the car and not have to have weird wheel backspacing?

Those years used the tapered axle shafts.
Replacements to standard flange shafts are available, though. Just be aware that they will also require later brake drum setups (drum, backing plate, hardware) in addition to the replacement axles.
An accurate 8 3/4" rear axle width list

You ideally want a 65-67 B body rear end, they are almost a bolt in. With the tapered axle rear you would probably want to weld new flanges on the housing ends and replace the axles and brakes with the newer style.

I'll be passing thru Georgia in 2 weeks on my way to Orlando. Just sayin......

I have access to a 1962 Dodge Dart that has an 8 3/4 rear axle in it. It is my understanding that the early b-body axles are narrower than the later ones. Would this be a relatively straight forward swap into a 72 Duster? I'm sure the spring perches would have to be moved, but other than that, would it require any other modifications to get it to fit correctly in the car and not have to have weird wheel backspacing?
It's a 53.25" housing so it's the closest to A-body width. I would just get rid of swedged on drums and use newer slide on drums to make working on the brakes easier. There are some Ford studs and probably other that have the same knurl diameter as the old studs.

[/URL[/URL][/URL]
[/URL][/URL]
pm me your phone number. I’ll try to give you a call tomorrow evening.

-
Back