7 1/4 tube length

-

investigator

Reaction score
I am switching my seven and a quarter to an eight and three quarter in my 1968 Dodge Dart I have measured and noticed that the tunnel as well as the axle tube lengths on my 7 1/4 are not set on dead center. do I need to maintain that offset when having my eight and three quarter cut to fit.

If I do then the pumpkin will be centered in the car and not centered in the tunnel where as the 7 1/4 is centered in the tunnel.

I set the wheel tire combo in the wheel well where I want it and then I measure from center of tunnel to each rim and use those measurements, or just take off equal amounts and hope the offset is correct, I don't do it that way. the pinion yoke needs to be center in the tunnel

The 8.75 in my Dart came from a 68 B body. I moved the spring hangars in equal amounts. The car had a 7.24 originally and there are no issues at all. Same story on the 8.75 in my 75 Duster. Chrysler never had a "short axle" like some fords. If that bothers you I can't wait to hear your opinion of the engine offset.... :)

If I do then the pumpkin will be centered in the car and not centered in the tunnel where as the 7 1/4 is centered in the tunnel.

So do you plan to cut one axle as well? Axles are equal lengths.

What rear are you cutting down?

742 center with 11" X 2 1/2 brakes and yes I have disc in front (8 3/4) housing 55 3/4 inside to inside housing ends.

Sounds like a B body rear, with a little work and proper backspace wheels, you could probably use it the way it is.

IF you cut it see post #2.

You will also need new axles as the B body axles can't be cut and re-splined for the A rear. You would need new ones or find a set of C body axles to cut and spline.

Search Mopar Muscle for an article called "Back End Boogie". They put a B rear in a Dart and it worked.

-
Back