7 1/4 VS 8 1/4

-

Cruisingram

Reaction score
I have a 68 dart with a 7 1/4 with Small bolt pattern axles. I want to convert to BBP, for rim selection etc.

I understand there are 8 1/4s, came in Dusters and the like? That have BBP and will bolt directly in to the 68 with same hub to hub width?

I have ignored this axle my whole life because I usually build hot rods, and go right to the race axles. My 67 has a Dana 60 in it, for instance.

So I know nothing of these axles, but I think there are a few on the island I can get at a reasonable cost, as the guys I know that have them all are hot roddders too and go right for the 8 3/4.

My Dart will remain a mild /6 the rest of it's life, so I don't need a posi or a super strong heavy duty axle, I am mainly shooting for good brakes and the BBP and good size wheel studs.

Can I get a break down of what will fit in my dart if I can find one?

IMG_20210224_180421822.jpg

'73-'76 A body 8 1/4 is a bolt-in. Make sure you get the bigger U bolts and shock plates with the rear, the 7 1/4 stuff is smaller.
Also, the driveshaft will need to be shortened a smidge.

U can get big bolt pattern axles from Doctor Diff for your 7 1/4. Ofcourse u will need brake drums and backing plates. Kim

I've had a few 7&1/4s
the one in my 90 Dakota grenades, I put an 8-1/4 in its place. Didn't have to do anything to the driveshaft except to bolt it back in.
When I started my volare project I bought and stripped a few parts cars and I had 3-4, 7-1/4s sitting here that I couldn't get anyone to give me $25 each for. They got scrapped.

-
Back