7.25 --> 8.75...wheels for both?

-

73VAswngr

Reaction score
I've got what i assume are stock wheels on my Swinger (see avatar). Before i do an engine swap i'm going to upgrade from my 7 1/4 to a 8 3/4. Is it possible to buy a nice set of wheels that will work for both or should i just get tires and wait for wheels till i swap axles? Thanks for the advice.
Russ

assuming from your user name you have a 73? It should have the bigger bolt pattern...5x4.5. You should always check though, especially if you have an early 73 because they used left over parts in the factory. But any dart, duster should have a bigger bolt pattern after 73.

on drum brake equipped cars.If its drum brakes,its got small bolts all around.Also,i think,but not 100% sure,but ive never seen for my self,a bigbolt 7.25.I also never paid attention to them either,i usually throw them away,lol

Well I say this because the guy who I am gonna purchase my duster said that 73's and up had big bolt patterns, though this duster is disc brakes (I know it is big bolt pattern he had cragars that were once on his cuda on it). So it might make sense that drum brakes have smaller bolt pattern and disc have larger pattern.

I swung by the shop on the way home to check on the progress :( and had the owner measure the back wheels for me. They're approx 3 13/16 from center to center "across", drum brakes all around. The current tires are p195/75 r14 with hubcaps...I have a feeling that's small pattern.

I swung by the shop on the way home to check on the progress :( and had the owner measure the back wheels for me. They're approx 3 13/16 from center to center "across", drum brakes all around. The current tires are p195/75 r14 with hubcaps...I have a feeling that's small pattern.

That's a VERY strange measurement!! Might want to show the guy how to measure bolt patterns. Check this site:

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

All I wanted to know and stuff I didn't even know I wanted to know!

if your car has drum brakes you have small bolt pattern wheels in 73 up all v8 cars had big bolt pattern but /6 cars came standard with small bolt drums although you could order big bolt discs on the 73 up /6's. If you are going with the stock a body 8 3/4 they are all small bolt pattern anyway so you could just buy small bolt wheels for your car but if you are going to put 73 up front discs on your car you will then have big bolt up front and need to update to big bolt pattern axles in the 8 3/4 hope this helps Justin

yea what they said. My 74 Swinger drum brake parts car is 4' BP.

Ok I just had to say something here.

-
Back