7.25 Pinion Seal Replaced

-

Flashback

Reaction score
Thought I'd add this thread as I had to scrounge several together to do mine.

1) Very helpful to use a Yoke Holder tool. I used a "universal" one I found on Ebay for $19 so could not beat it. saved a lot of cursing especially if you do not have a lift and the axle is still in the car. You'll use it for undoing pinion nut and re-installing it.

2) There are three different pionion seals for a '66 Dart if you don't already have it out. Two for '66 and one for '65 (like mine...Doy!) and the design is different from the original. Check measurements, they are the same, just looks different.

3) My torque wrench just did not do the trick from under the car...could not get enough leverage...240ft lbs of torque. I used a 3/4 Air gun...and it worked.

4) Pay attention to where nut is on threads for re-install. Mine is no doubt not exact, but very close...and since my slant six will not be doing drag racing duty should be fine.

5) Rubber mallet does nice job of tapping in seal without screwing it up. Take your time.

6) grease your U-joints while you're under there O:)

7) Once installed, should be bone dry and good for another 100,000 miles.

I know this is an old thread, but some of us still run our 7 1/4 rears. Thanks for the tips!

-
Back