7.25 rear end question

-
will last forever depending on how you drive it! It can handle the small occasional burnout easily. But you go pulling 50' burnouts it will only last through maybe a hundred on those from what I have seen first hand experiance. And this is ONLY if your running skinny street tires (less than 235 width) and open rear.

The 7.25 is a gernade behind a small block.

A little fun fact... The front differential/axle in the Dodge Dakota and Durango is a 7.25" chrysler axle (the same one in the a-bodies, infact the ring & pinion will swap over between the 2)

They withstand 4 cylinders, 3.9's, 5.2's, 5.9's and even Cummins 4BT Turbo Diesels (which weigh as much as a big block) and will even hold up for plowing snow too.

Well if the 7.25 is such a brute, then why wouldn't they hold up behind STOCK slant sixes? They don't have a reputation for tearin up for nuthin. If you've had one last, it's pure T luck. I wouldn't ever advise somebody to keep one. Not in anything. It's not if they are gonna tear up but when.

A little fun fact... The front differential/axle in the Dodge Dakota and Durango is a 7.25" chrysler axle (the same one in the a-bodies, infact the ring & pinion will swap over between the 2)

They withstand 4 cylinders, 3.9's, 5.2's, 5.9's and even Cummins 4BT Turbo Diesels (which weigh as much as a big block) and will even hold up for plowing snow too.

Yeah and another fun fact......a front differential sees nowhere near the run time OR stress as a rear axle does. Then never have to pull the entire weight of the vehicle. Used in rear drive applications, the 7.25 is garbage. Just like the Dana 30. They work in front axle applications but suck hind tit in the rear.

my 40 plus year old factory V8 barracuda still has the original 7-1/4 rear and it works just fine, 100,000 miles and going strong, of course I dont beat on my car, if I did I am sure I could break it if I really tried

Yeah and another fun fact......a front differential sees nowhere near the run time OR stress as a rear axle does. Then never have to pull the entire weight of the vehicle. Used in rear drive applications, the 7.25 is garbage. Just like the Dana 30. They work in front axle applications but suck hind tit in the rear.

True, most of them in the trucks I know of though, are locked in 100% of the time (CAD Delete/CAD permanently locked)

Here's my 7.25"

S5000433.jpg

In full winter gear (plow, ballast, fuel, cap) the truck weighs in at 7,900 pounds and spends 75% of its time locked in 4WD. 214,000 miles, original axles, rebuilt transmission, original engine.

I hear you. But still it don't pull the whole truck. It's got a LOTTA help. LOL Nice truck.

Nice truck.

$500 beater, bought it from the original owner (a friend and customer). Turning radius sucks bawls, worst turning vehicle I've ever driven.

I slapped an 8.5' plow on it to replace the previous plow truck (also in the picture, the red and black...half a truck... behind the dakota :D )

Did have it pulling on just the front axle once (only once, I never want to repeat it), some jerk ran me off the road as I was turning into my driveway... the truck spun round when it hit some ice off the side of the road and the back half of my truck slid over a stone wall (with a 10' drop on the other side). I spent 30 minutes spinning the front tires to get the truck off that wall.

Had to use a chain and a big truck to pull the seat out of my puckered butthole after that experience :D

what breaks rear's is shock as in repeated hard launches
7-1/4" rears just break easier

if you stay off the ice and snow and dont do burnouts or drag race it, it will live. the minute you start jerking it around and stressing it from ice to dry pavement or wheelspinning it from dirt to pavement it will let go. everyday normal driving it will be fine. back in the day , we would delibertly try to break these things by power braking them and running burnouts from gravel to pavement. the sure grip 7 1/4 usually was the first to break. we broke a few. we had this one cat we called neutral drop Ed. as the tag states, he took a 318/904/7 1/4 revs it up to 3 grand and slams it into drive and it broke the u joints and not the rear end. this guy was nuts.

7-1/4 rears are weak! I have seven broken ones piled up behind the garage. I kept replacing them because they were $20 from the local wrecking yard. They will break behind a stock slant six if you spin a tiny bit on ice and one wheel grabs traction. The spiders rip right out of the carrier. A beefed up 273 will tear them out easily without serious abuse and a 360 will tear one up even if you carefully try not to do so. I still have an original sure grip in one of my Barracudas so i guess that one is an exception survivor. The others have now been replaced with 8-3/4s.

-
Back