7.25 swap

-

V8 Sam

Reaction score
Quick questions guys

I have a shortend 8.75 rear end from a b-body it fits perfectly in my dart. Also has small bolt pattern a body 8.75 half shafts in there too so my wheels are not an issue.

I'm using my original (now shortend to fit) prop that was on the 7.25.

Would I need a different u joint to fit between the prop and the 8.75 yoke? Or should they all work with each other?

Or could I jus get a new a body 8.75 yoke instead? As ideally I want to get away from the strap mount and use u bolts as I believe this is the reason it's fallen out before. Hateful things

489 case

1970 dart.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that what you are calling a prop, is what we call a driveshaft? There are 2 different sizes of U joints, 7260 and 7290. Unless the 489 case was in a high performance car, it very well may have a 7260 U joint yoke on it. If that is the case, simply buy a 7260 U joint and put it together. If by chance the 489 has a 7290 U joint sized yoke, you can buy a conversion U joint that is 7260 on one side and 7290 on the other. Way cheaper to do that. Clean the treads for the u joint straps really good before attempting to install the bolts. A new U joint should come with new straps and bolts.

Forgot to add..... you need to install the C clips on all of the u joint cups. They hold the u joint centered in both the driveshaft (prop) and the yoke.

Thanks for your reply buddy!

And yeah prop shaft drive shaft same differences

I decided to go with a new yoke which has the ubolt type attachment for extra safety as I think the yoke on there is currently a bit warped and the prop...

Errr..

Driveshaft as wiggled out of it before leaving just the straps in place and the driveshaft on the floor:(

-
Back