7.25 to 8.75 swap Dodge dart 1965

-

Dart 65 /6 170

Reaction score
Ive recently collected a 8.75 rear end from a 70’s charger that I wanna swap in my 65 dart instead of the 7.25 rear end.

but the 8.75 is much wider than the original 7.25 rear end.

is the only thing to do narrowing the 8.75?

I think the 7.25 is around 51 inch and the 8.75 is around 57-58 inch

help

Ive recently collected a 8.75 rear end from a 70’s charger that I wanna swap in my 65 dart instead of the 7.25 rear end.

but the 8.75 is much wider than the original 7.25 rear end.

is the only thing to do narrowing the 8.75?

I think the 7.25 is around 51 inch and the 8.75 is around 57-58 inch

help

No, the B body rear will fit. You have to relocate the spring perches, but it'll fit. Of course you won't have the tire room you could, but I think that can be overcome with wheel selection. Plenty of people have used B body rears.

I used a 1963 B-body rear and springs in a dart and it was only a half inch wider on either side...

20210714_180737.jpg

No, the B body rear will fit. You have to relocate the spring perches, but it'll fit. Of course you won't have the tire room you could, but I think that can be overcome with wheel selection. Plenty of people have used B body rears.

he is not going to get a 71-74 B body rear to fit under an early A body car, they are the widest 8 3/4” you can find. Well, except for a C body unit, which is very close in width to the one he has.

There are alternatives. (You will need to move the spring pads, and get 8 3/4 shock plates and u-bolts).
If the 8 3/4 is six inches wider, you will need three inches more backspace per wheel than you have now, to get the wheel/tire in the same location they are now. Somewhere around six inch backspace. You will probably need an aftermarket wheel designed for a late model mustang to get the backspace, they have the same bolt pattern as your 8 3/4. (Late mopars DO NOT. Close, but no cigar)
To get a matching front, you will likely have to have a 5 on 4 1/2 conversion, and a BIG spacer. A 5 on 4, to 5 on 4 1/2 adapter might work if thick enough, good luck finding one.
Bottom line? I think you would be happiest narrowing the rear.

he is not going to get a 71-74 B body rear to fit under an early A body car, they are the widest 8 3/4” you can find. Well, except for a C body unit, which is very close in width to the one he has.

I didn't realize that. Thanks Geoff. Sorry for the bad intel.

-
Back