7.3 Power Stroke question

-

MoparMuscleGuy

Still plays with cars.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm going to replace my water/oil separator do to leaking o-rings. After installation of the new separator, whats the best way to prime/refill the system with fuel? Should I just turn on the ignition a couple of cycles before starting?
Thanks MMG.

Replacing the O-rings or the the entire unit. Not that it makes a difference...

If doing the O-rings, just fire it up. The system will have fuel remaining in the rails. It might smoke a bit. No different than when you change the fuel filter.

Good site for PSD info if you don't already have it. http://www.thedieselstop.com/

Thanks Crackedback for your response. Today, I changed out the water separator that was leaking diesel fuel. The culprit was warn o-rings do to the low sulfur diesel fuels of today. Sinse you have to drain the fuel bowl to change this part, I found out it is slightly different upon restart than just changing the fuel filter. I was informed to(without starting) turn the ignition on 6 times for 30 seconds between each time/cycle to fill/reprime the system. I did this and it fired up perfectly without leaks. This has been a great engine and I hope to drive it another 400,000 miles. Thanks, MMG

You must have a later PSD than mine. No electric pump on mine being a 95.

I like mine too... It's been a solid runner at 180K. Only about 3 hills that I've needed to pull it out of 5th gear and off cruise control to get over when towing. Just wish it didn't have the 4.10's out back, except on the steep stuff. That's what downshifting is for. It gets the same mileage towing the open trailer as empty on the highway. I'd rather have to downshift on hills for another 250ish reduced RPM's pulling everywhere else.

That site is really great. Plenty of info from line mechanics to DIYers.

You must have a later PSD than mine. No electric pump on mine being a 95.

I like mine too... It's been a solid runner at 180K. Only about 3 hills that I've needed to pull it out of 5th gear and off cruise control to get over when towing. Just wish it didn't have the 4.10's out back, except on the steep stuff. That's what downshifting is for. It gets the same mileage towing the open trailer as empty on the highway. I'd rather have to downshift on hills for another 250ish reduced RPM's pulling everywhere else.

That site is really great. Plenty of info from line mechanics to DIYers.

My truck is a 2000 Ford Excursion/7.3 Turbo Diesel. It just turned 170,000 miles. The truck is still like new and the engine has always run great. Just changed the water pump and now the water separator. They don't make them like this anymore that's why I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off:grin:. MMG

I consider myself a very good mechanic but I've learned to always ask questions if I'm not sure. This site is excellent for info and thanks again for your input. MMG:coffee2:

-
Back