7.89@89 Mph

-

69Chrgr

Charger/Cuda
Reaction score
Well, I spanked the Bird, but still disappointed in my time. It doesn't launch out of the hole like it should, so where do I start? Here is my combination:

360 Magnum block bores .030
Eagle 4.00 crank
Eagle I-beam rods
Protru forged pistons
chrome moly rings
block zero decked
Windage tray
Milodon 8 quart pan
ATI Balancer
ARP main and head bolts
Eddy heads out of box, no porting
Hughes custom hyd. roller cam .565 exh., .555 int., 305 duration?
Hughes matched valve springs
crane 1.6 roller rockers
M1 single plane intake
750 Quick Fuel D.P. Q series
March Underdrive Pulleys
Electric Fan
MSD Ignition
Compression 11:1?
4.11 w/Powertraxx
M/T ET Streets 275/60
SuperStock Springs
Pinion Snubber

My plugs seem to be fouling, turning black, so I know it is a rich condition, however I think it is only at idle. However I have to let it warm up to 180 degrees, so maybe my idle circuit is rich? My time wasn't awful, however you can tell it has so much more in it. Oh, yeah, it's in a 68 Cuda notch. Any ideas?

What is your Timing set to?

Octane of your fuel?

Do you have a wideband o2 sensor?

Is the car a full weight street car?

7.89 is a Good time none the less!

My '60 was 2.1. Even the Bird beat me out of the hole. My car weighs 3200lbs. Problem is, I couldn't see my timing marks on the harmonic balancer because the dam lower water pump hose is right over the marks. I usually mark it with white out, but it was gone at the track. I started at 18 degrees intial I think, but now I'm not sure. Everyone said they could hear my engine "pick up midway down the track, and that it ran awesome after that. I'm just frustrated as I know it should do much better out of the hole. Everyone there seemed to have thought it would run at least a 7.4 if it would leave decently.

If your not already using them invest in some drag shocks,set the fronts at 90/10 and the rears at 50/50,what rpm are you lauching at?..my duster which is roughly the same weight 60's in the 1.40's with nothing more then xhd leaf springs,pinion snubber and drag shocks..and 1/8 mile 6.90's..

Obviously my timing was WAAAY off. I'm too embarrassed to say what it was at. Hey 340, what do you set your initial at?

My initial timing is 15 all in by 34,from my experience and advice from others Mopars like less timing and more fuel..

What a freaking idiot I am!!! Well, I figured out why it wouldn't leave the line very well. I had 7 cylinders. While I was cleaning my plugs, I thought, why don't I see what kind of compression I have? So, I started on the passenger side, all cylinders were at 180 psi, dead money. Then I start on the drivers side, #7, and 0 psi. I started checking, maybe I was doing something wrong with the tester, then pulled the valve cover. I thought maybe a cracked Crane Roller Rocker. No. Turned the motor over with the hand held starter, observed both intake and exhaust valves opening and closing. What now? Then, brought to top dead center, and noticed the exhaust rocker was very tight, and could not move it any at all like the other rockers in this position. You guessed it, I just ever so slightly overtightened. Backed it off, now I have 175 psi in that cylinder. So, I guess I ran a 7.89 @ 89 mph on 7 cylinders. I can't freaking wait to get to the track now!!! Hope someone can learn from my mistake an me having my head where it didn't belong. Whew!

-
Back