7 blade 17” fixed fan vs 6 blade 18” clutch fan

-

Wvbuzzmaster

Reaction score
So this is a quick question about cooling fan theory.

The car is 1972 Duster with 340 and purple camshaft, probably around 350 horsepower with a factory 22” radiator (not sure how many cores).

I have zero issues with cooling, as I have been driving it everywhere and long runs on 90 degree days. It will cool back down to the first line in the normal temperature range on the gauge after heat soaking to the middle of the normal range within 5 minutes and won’t budge off it running around at any speed, so perfect. However it has a fixed 7 blade 17” diameter (wide blade) fan in a factory shroud with 19.5” opening, about 1.25” clearance from tip to shroud. Position is about half exposed so that direction is fine. In reading, anything more than an inch of clearance to the shroud is not optimal, so the shroud is designed for 18” fan.

So my friend kept telling me to get away from the fixed fan, get a thermal clutch fan, but everyone wants about $300 for 7 blade 18” clutch fan cause “it’s hemi” and they are half right, but it’s also everything else too. So on eBay I scored an 18” thermal clutch fan of 18” diameter with 6 blades (wide blades) for $80 shipped, unknown correct for, but came off of a Mopar, I am not factory correct so seemed legit enough for me.

So will going to an 18” diameter 6 blade clutch fan be better than a 17” diameter 7 blade fan because it will fill the rad shroud better, or will it just perform as good as what I have without giving up 20 horsepower?

Bonus question, will it help to reduce belt squealing when blipping the throttle to keep it cleaned out when idling around town due to the dampening in the fan clutch reducing the load on the belt during a throttle blip?

I doubt you'll notice any difference at all.
I also think you could bolt on an airplane propeller and you wouldn't be losing 20 horsepower, I really feel that estimate is way overblown- but someone will come on here and say "I saw it in Hot Rod" so it must be true. Like I said, it's highly doubtful you'll notice any difference at all.
I just can't figure out why you even want to mess with what is a winning combination for you...? But, I guess sometimes we just have to tinker with stuff "just because".

I just can't figure out why you even want to mess with what is a winning combination for you...? But, I guess sometimes we just have to tinker with stuff "just because".

Belt squeal is why I am touching it lol… but I will be able to get back to the current combination in a parking lot with basic tools if wrong… lol

without giving up 20 horsepower?
LOL !

I find the 7 blade curled tip fix fan is the best fan chrysler ever made. I'm actually taking a clutch fan off my '64 Dodge 440 and installing a fixed 7 blade for better cooling.

Chrysler also removed the clutch fans on Superbirds and installled fixed for the same reason!

LOL !

I find the 7 blade curled tip fix fan is the best fan chrysler ever made. I'm actually taking a clutch fan off my '64 Dodge 440 and installing a fixed 7 blade for better cooling.

Chrysler also removed the clutch fans on Superbirds and installled fixed for the same reason!
Thanks for the input Wayne. I am in the same position. I have both fans, and was going to run the fixed. Can you tell me how close to the rad the center of the fan should be? I have a thick spacer and can make it any size that I want.

Thanks for the input Wayne. I am in the same position. I have both fans, and was going to run the fixed. Can you tell me how close to the rad the center of the fan should be? I have a thick spacer and can make it any size that I want.
I have the same fan on my 340 Swinger, 383 Bee and Hemi HP2. I'll measure distances for you tomorrow. They all run basically on the thermostat.

Last edited:
Fixed fan - 100% fan speed to wp speed.

Clutch fan - 60 to 80% fan speed to wp speed.

Fixed fan at road speeds need almost no HP to turn.

Same with thermal fans

Fixed fan with same number of blades as thermal fan with same pitch and diameter will move more air.

Benefit of thermal fan is you can have a steeper pitch to move more air and it can be quieter at various conditions.

As for squeal...
Tighten the belt/s
Be sure you have the correct belts
Be sure the pulleys are in good shape.

68 340 came with a 213 fixed 7 blade fan stock unless it had air conditioning. That fan is a 1.75 inch pitch. In 69 they went to a 214 or 215 7 blade clutch fan. Can’t recall the part number, its one of the two. That fan is a 2.25 inch pitch. That is pretty much the same as the 216 mopar performance fan. Best to stick with parts as mother mopar engineered. You can find the information in the parts manuals.

Those seven blade fixed fans sound like an airplane going down the road, but they flat out MOVE some air.

Belt squeal is why I am touching it lol… but I will be able to get back to the current combination in a parking lot with basic tools if wrong… lol
If it's just the squeal, then do like Dana67Dart said; plus I'll add this: even if the belt is correct, and it's adjusted properly, sometimes you just need a new belt. Cheaper ones can be harder rubber, older ones lose their grip (don't we all?), and if it was out of adjustment for a while it could be glazed now... especially since it's a single belt. And even a little glazing will cause a squeal now and again. (This also applies to serpentine setups.)

I have retensioned and replaced the belt and made it banjo tight a few times and the result is the squeal comes back, and the fan pulley has least amount of belt contact, and I can turn it with ease without the engine turning… again… which is aggravating. All I have is crank pulley, fan/water pump pulley, and alternator, V belt but no issues with keeping cool temps except that squeal if I need to blip the throttle to clear it out. I replaced alternator brackets to fix alternator twist to get the belt straight, and new belt at least a couple times, retention belt monthly…

Oh, while it is cooling fine, it definitely seems like it could do better and since shroud is designed for 18” fan and car has a 17” fan now (was on it when bought it and I bought new shroud since it had none). In reading if the shroud and fan have too much gap it can be similar to running no shroud or at least greatly reduce the effect of the shroud.

I have retensioned and replaced the belt and made it banjo tight a few times and the result is the squeal comes back, and the fan pulley has least amount of belt contact, and I can turn it with ease without the engine turning… again… which is aggravating. All I have is crank pulley, fan/water pump pulley, and alternator, V belt but no issues with keeping cool temps except that squeal if I need to blip the throttle to clear it out. I replaced alternator brackets to fix alternator twist to get the belt straight, and new belt at least a couple times, retention belt monthly…
What belt are you running? Our member @lemondana can fix you up with the exact right belt for your application. A lot of them in the parts stores are not the right width for Mopars.

I have the same fan on my 340 Swinger, 383 Bee and Hemi HP2. I'll measure distances for you tomorrow. They all run basically on the thermostat.
@CFD244
Bee.. no shroud... 1 3/4
20231006_103148.jpg

20231006_103011.jpg

Hemi HP2.. 2 3/8
20231006_103159.jpg

20231006_103244.jpg

340 Swinger.. 1 1/2
20231006_103340.jpg

20231006_103420.jpg

Last edited:
You don't have an AC water pump pulley-do you? All of the cars that had AC, both big block and smallblock had a 6 vane water pump and a smaller water pump pulley. Possibly if you have the 8 vane water pump and the AC water pump pulley, could be some of the problem. When I got my 71 Polara in my avatar running, I thought too-the 18 inch 7 blade fan would be good, but being an AC car-it had that real small water pump pulley. That small pulley just can't pull that big aggressive fan without slipping and squealing. I always hated clutch fans. I ordered a new Hayden HD clutch and installed it on the original fan and no more belt slippage. I'd welcome any opinions.

-
Back