7 Second 572 Hemi.

-

The Cuda

Reaction score
Hi, have had the 572 Hemi 16 years, It's an Indy. Have been inside it many times. No problems until, this time. Had it honed by a Mopar only house. Good folks. Used them many times. Bore 4.5005 all over. Mic'd Pistons checked good. Piston gap .004-.005. New rings, full set same mfg. as I always used. Gaped .004 per inch of bore, same gap as always. Checked and re checked. Oil ring rails measure .050,, excessive, but,, with in tolerance. Same .050 as my other 572 engine with No problems. Valve guide I.D. s measured and , good. Valve stems mic'd, all good. New valve seals installed same kind as always. On start up engine Smokes an incredible amount and doesn't stop smoking. Same oil as always. Same everything ! Pulled engine apart. New rings ! Re checked EVERYTHING. Reassembled, SMOKES !!! . Never had it, or any engine do this before and have done over 50 in the last 40 years. Haven't put a load on it as of yet BUT,, have never had it, or one do this before. Opinions. Thanks, D.y MAGA !

Not sure what type of rings you used, but I have had the same experience in some of my previous Hemi builds. If you used chrome moly rings, sometimes they take a while to seat in. If that is what you used, be prepared to keep changing spark plugs because of the excessive oil burning and they foul out. Drive the car like you plan to run it and when the rings seat, it will seal the cylinders and probably end up being one of the best engines ever... 0.02....

So .018 on the ring end gap to confirm? seems fine to me. I'm stumped.

If all 8 plugs are showing oil, you may have an intake manifold gasket not sealing.

If it is just a few cylinders here and there, maybe the spark plug tubes are sealing.

Doubt you have a ring issue at this point.

So .018 on the ring end gap to confirm? seems fine to me. I'm stumped.
Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes absolutely .018 Checked re checked and checked again. We are stumped as well. OldSchool says,, "Run It" and he may be correct. It's just that this engine has been refreshed several times before with exact same components/clearances always by us and no problems whatsoever. I can't see that anything has been over looked. We have a 6 second man coming by to have a look and give his opinion. Thanks, D.y MAGA !

If all 8 plugs are showing oil, you may have an intake manifold gasket not sealing.

If it is just a few cylinders here and there, maybe the spark plug tubes are sealing.

Doubt you have a ring issue at this point.
Thanks Yellow Rose, New intake gaskets torqued correctly. But that doesn't guarantee it's not leaking. We will recheck that and more in the next few days time permitting. Plug tubes will also be checked as well and rereading the plugs themselves. If we come up with the "smoking" gun No pun intended,, we will post our findings. Thanks, D.y MAGA !

Thanks Yellow Rose, New intake gaskets torqued correctly. But that doesn't guarantee it's not leaking. We will recheck that and more in the next few days time permitting. Plug tubes will also be checked as well and rereading the plugs themselves. If we come up with the "smoking" gun No pun intended,, we will post our findings. Thanks, D.y MAGA !
never had an intake leak on either one of my hemi`s. do you use Vaseline on the intake side of the gaskets when pulling it down? out of round cylinders ?

I have not been around many hemi's let alone a 572........
What are spark plug tubes? and why do the have them.

when i read it the first time i thought you said you had new pistons. If the piston ring groove is not square.....That's your oil leak.
The ring has to seal to the side of the piston as well as the cylinder wall.

The spark plugs are in the center of the head so you have to access them through the top of the valve covers.

old post, but the spark plug tubes 'will" let oil into the cyl. when changing plugs. the first startup will look like its on fire!-lol

Yeah i knew the answer, just couldn't get my brain to give it to me.........was picturing some kind of tube that the spark plug screwed into. as in tube screwed onto the threads of the spark plug...... That messed with my mind:wtf::D

I don't believe a conclusion was posted, and unless they missed something like the rings were accidentally marked wrong & installed likewise, it is still a mystery. Per the post,
this ain't the OP's first rodeo in general & w/this eng. in particular, so a little bit of oil burn off from pulling the plugs wouldn't be a revelation. They made no mention of milling
heads or intake, so a poor surface mating wouldn't just "pop up" out of the blue. Didn't mention crankcase vent/evac. system either..........................

I don't believe a conclusion was posted, and unless they missed something like the rings were accidentally marked wrong & installed likewise, it is still a mystery. Per the post,
this ain't the OP's first rodeo in general & w/this eng. in particular, so a little bit of oil burn off from pulling the plugs wouldn't be a revelation. They made no mention of milling
heads or intake, so a poor surface mating wouldn't just "pop up" out of the blue. Didn't mention crankcase vent/evac. system either..........................
Thank to everyone that has read my post and offered there advise. We have decided that the hone/ring combo has something to do with the problem of the Smoke screen the engine is displaying. Some have said ''run it" and after triple checking everything we believe that is the ticket. There is a private airport near us. The owner rents out heated hangers and some racers keep there cars there. On occasion he allows them to test there cars on the landing strip. Rather than embarrassing ourselves at the track we've decided to use the air strip to put a load on the engine and that should seat these rings. Then it's to the track for some 7 second fun ! Thanks again.

That is what i would want to try first. Good luck and hope it seats right in.......

-
Back