70-340 is BALANCED Again........

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
It's a rare event when you can find what appears to be a big problem that actually turns out to be a simple and cheap fix............

Guess we won this one.

We removed the counterweight on the back of the harmonic balancer mounted to the crank of our 1970 340 motor, and the shakes and vibrations are absolutely GONE............

PUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRs like a kitten, and the throttle response is incredible..............When we fired it up this morning, I could hear the motor saying "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......to be SMOOOOOOth again". (these talking 340's are rare).............

SO, the balancing problem has been taken care of......and with just a few miles on the car since the balancer was installed by the previous owner, it should be OK...........I'll change the rear main anywhoooo.........

AND, a question..........can the rear main be changed on this 70-340 without dropping the tranny......??? A local Mopar guy told me he could do it without dropping it............

Doc :toothy7: :blob: :wav:

It can be done, but... If you have the time and space, you may want to pull the engine. It's a lot easier to work on upside down on a stand then you being under it, jacking up engine, removing pan, dripping oil, and possibly missing something. If you've pulled the engine before, you have some idea how long it takes. The more you pull them out, the easier/quicker you'll get. While its out, you can pop in all new freeze plugs and check the engine over. Easier to get a good tight seal on the oil pan afterwards too. Just depends on your situation, space, parts, and experience. Having said that, this would be a great way to gain experience now, instead of when you "have to" do it in event of engine failure.
Reading your other posts, It doesn't sound like you hava a lot of room to spread out parts and have it down for very long. If it was me, I'd pull the engine, but, I have changed out a rear seal in the car, middle of winter, on my back. Don't want to do it again tho.

pastortom1 said:
It's a rare event when you can find what appears to be a big problem that actually turns out to be a simple and cheap fix............

Guess we won this one.

We removed the counterweight on the back of the harmonic balancer mounted to the crank of our 1970 340 motor, and the shakes and vibrations are absolutely GONE............

PUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRs like a kitten, and the throttle response is incredible..............When we fired it up this morning, I could hear the motor saying "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......to be SMOOOOOOth again". (these talking 340's are rare).............

SO, the balancing problem has been taken care of......and with just a few miles on the car since the balancer was installed by the previous owner, it should be OK...........I'll change the rear main anywhoooo.........

AND, a question..........can the rear main be changed on this 70-340 without dropping the tranny......??? A local Mopar guy told me he could do it without dropping it............

Doc :toothy7: :blob: :wav:

a few miles - I'd keep driving it. probably no worse than what some have come from the factory with and lasted a long time.

-
Back