70-72 bumper brackets on 73+?

-

Riddler

Project EH-Body
Reaction score
I've got a 76 Duster. I want to lighten up the bumpers when I cut and notch my bumpers to the body. My crash shocks were already drilled and I didn't want to reuse them. I however was able to source a set of rear bumper brackets. Has anyone else done this?

I'm thinking I can weld studs to the back of the bumper so all the holes can be welded up and then re-chromed.

Also does anyone have pictures of how the front and rear brackets mount to the bumper on the 70-72 Dusters?

Thanks,

Riddler

70-72 are the same
img303.jpg

The brackets used on the 67-72 cars can be used to fit a 67-72 bumper to anything up to a 76 but the hood, grille and lower fill panel are in the way on the 73-76 models.
I had a 74 Duster that I called Frankenduster. I put a 71 hood, grille and fill panel in it. There are some 1974 models that had traditional old style non impact type front bumpers. Those are easy to retrofit because the frame has the holes there and threaded. Sometime in the 1974 model year the 5mph impact bumpers were implemented and the frames were modified to accomodate a larger threaded hole for the shock absorber brackets. The holes for the old style bumper were still in my frame but they had no threaded nuts behind the holes in the frame rails. I made a sheet metal plate with the appropriate sized nuts welded to it, then slipped it in the frame and welded them in place. I was then able to mount whatever I wanted.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm going to have to do it the hard way. I don't mind the pointy bumpers on my Duster I just want a smooth bumper and I have to keep the license plate cutout due to laws.

Riddler

The 75 and 76 cars don't have the captured nuts in the front frame rails to mount the earlier brackets. The shock mount front bumper brackets use a single bolt, the non-shock mount brackets use two. And none of the holes overlap, they're in completely different locations.

-
Back