70-72 Duster hood to radiator seal

-

Uncle Bob

Shiny paint causes stress.
Reaction score
Would someone who has a 70-72 Duster with a hood to radiator seal please take a photo and post it? I can find Darts and later model Dusters online, but no 70-72 model Dusters.

It doesn't help that google has turned into a marketing hub instead of a search engine, but that's a gripe for another day.

I bought a DMT seal and it doesn't look like it's going to work without carving on it. I'd like to be sure that's necessary before I ruin the part. It looks to me like the hood pins and the hood latch are in the way so it's not going to work without modifying it.

Thanks!!

Here is an old one

20220713_194139.jpg

20220713_194133.jpg

20220713_194127.jpg

That might be the cowl gasket sorry

Hard to tell from your pics. Does this strip have the clips in it already or are there holes where the clips are to go? The hood to radiator support strip is about 55 1/2" long with holes for the clips and the cowl to hood seal is about 34" with clips already installed.

I put the radiator seal on with the clips and once it's in place it's not in the way of the hood latch but the hood pins interfere with putting in two end clips.

It looks like the two end clips were supposed to go right where the hood pin hole is. Also the hood won't shut now so adjustments are needed.

Ignore the crummy condition of this car. One of these days I might paint it, but probably not.

I haven't put the cowl strip on yet. My current focus is on trying to stop this pile from running so hot.

3 core radiation
Not sure what you mean but yes my car has a 3-core 22" radiator and it still runs hot. I'm eliminating potential causes one at a time. It's a 400 engine. I may never get it to run as cool as I'd prefer.

Hmmm. Since it is designed for 70 & 71 Dusters seems odd it would interfere with the hood latch. Hood pins are a different story though.
It turned out to be OK with the hood latch, sort of. It just bends around the back of the latch where it bolts to the hood. The hood won't shut now because it was adjusted without the seal.

It turned out to be OK with the hood latch, sort of. It just bends around the back of the latch where it bolts to the hood. The hood won't shut now because it was adjusted without the seal.
Ah, got it. Adjusting my hood was a real pain. Got it close enough to close but may need to see my body man to have them make it right.

-
Back