70-76 Dart Dash Mods

-

73dart_swinger

Reaction score
I have been wanting to add an aftermarket gauge set up to my 73 Dart for a while now. I want to place a tach, speedometer, ammeter, oil pressure, fuel level and water temp gauges in the original gauge cluster location.

Has anyone modified a gauge cluster and done something like this? I know there are aftermarket bezels that can be purchased but I would rather keep this on the cheap.

You can also look at www.redlinegaugeworks.com and check out their insert blanks.
Or, if you're cheap like me, use a trashed cluster bezel and create your own:

Panel.JPG

$100 is in my price range. I would be interested in seeing how to make blinker and brights indicators though.

Dan, what did you make your faceplate out of and how did you attach it to the scrap bezel?

73dart swinger & 70Swinger510,

I used 2 pieces of 1/8" plexi-glass, available at Home Depot or Lowes, after making a cardboard/paper template. The original gauge bezel will be "sandwiched" between the plexi pieces.
I will be using LEDs for turn signal(s) L & R, "BRAKE", "OIL", & "HIGH" beam indicators. Available in different styles at Radio Shack etc...
"HEADLAMP" switch and "WIPERS" switch will both be located in the metal dash frame to the right of the cluster and to the left of the HVAC/Radio openings. Headlamp switch wires will need to be "stretched" but the Wiper connection should reach.
Hope it helps!

Here is mine. I bought the Redline gauge bezel and cut my own holes for Autometer Phantom gauges. I bought 3 lights from summit racing along with the gauges and the green ones are for the turn signals and the red one is high beam indicator. I spliced them in from the factory wiring.

100_0170.jpg

100_0178.jpg

71blueduster, that looks great. That looks exactly like what I would want to do. What size are the tach and speedometer and what size are the other gauges? Did you relocate the headlight switch and wiper control?

71blueduster, that looks great. That looks exactly like what I would want to do. What size are the tach and speedometer and what size are the other gauges? Did you relocate the headlight switch and wiper control?

The tach and speedo are 3 3/8 and the water temp, voltmeter, and oil pressure are 2 1/16. I'm still working on relocating the light and wiper switches since they won't really fit on the flat panel. It's a really easy project and well worth the time and money spent. The hardest part is doing all the wiring of the gauges.

-
Back