'70 Dart 392 Project; what direction?

-
All is well? Making any progress?

You are probably just busy with work, but thought I would ask.
Yessir it’s been an insanely busy fall. Got some new machines showing up at work and have been making plans for expansion all summer long. Finally implementing this plans, and took some time off to hunt this fall as well. Finally back into thinking about the car again.

Part of work was reorganizing the shop bays and I had to push the car out of the shop for a bit. Man… it looks great outside of the shop!

Only regret is going with the 2” drop spindles up front. I think it’s still got a bit too much of a rake but honestly can’t complain with the 28”+ tall tires in the back. (If you notice I turned my phone a touch to snap the picture to minimize the rake).

Mike

77A989BF-9E41-4569-974B-2DD055CBF719.jpeg

Yessir it’s been an insanely busy fall. Got some new machines showing up at work and have been making plans for expansion all summer long. Finally implementing this plans, and took some time off to hunt this fall as well. Finally back into thinking about the car again.

Part of work was reorganizing the shop bays and I had to push the car out of the shop for a bit. Man… it looks great outside of the shop!

Only regret is going with the 2” drop spindles up front. I think it’s still got a bit too much of a rake but honestly can’t complain with the 28”+ tall tires in the back. (If you notice I turned my phone a touch to snap the picture to minimize the rake).

Mike

View attachment 1716167187

Looks good to me, but maybe it is the camera angle.

Expansion is good and a busy fall even better. Better than wonder how to keep the doors open.

Snagged a few goodies from blackfriday.... Got my Type S borla mufflers, a 3" mandrel bend exhaust kit, exhaust hanger kit, waiting to see if I can't get a better deal from Summit on the QA1 rear shocks and an X pipe.

Trying to sort out what to do with my bench seat situation. Seat needs recovered, but in talking with brewers the shifter I'm planning on running (pistol grip, 71-71 B body without console) will only clear the bench seat in the rear most position. Should be fine for myself but if my wife wants to drive the car it'll contact the shifter in the 2/4 gears.

Looking at potentially running some modern mustang seats or something from the BMW line, the Procars look great as well but dang their spendy.

Mike @ HCA

It’s been awhile, life sure got busy the last 3 months! Coming up on 2 year anniversary of starting this build. Haven’t had much time at all to work on the car but got a few things done.

Got my new shifter from brewers and installed, picked up a set of “392 hemi” valve covers, replaced the 2” drop spindles with standard ones which brought ride height up perfectly. Have just finished bending up all new brake lines and fabricating the parking brake mount and got it mounted. Got to bleed and test the brakes today and everywhere seems to be working perfectly. First time doing brake lines for myself.

Dropped fuel tank and installed the tank pad and grounded the sending unit housing. A ton left to do but it’s slight progress.

Next on the list is fuel lines, power steering lines, clutch TO bearing lines and reservoir mounting, heater hose lines, AC unit install and hoses, radiator mount and hoses, fuel filler neck, and then I get to start the megasquirt wiring. Really want to have every system buttoned up before starting that one cause once I do I will definitely be itching the crank it up.

Also obviously exhaust and I did pick up a set of 2014 challenger seats. Planning on taking them off of their track/bases and adapting them to possibly the Procar bases to keep the height down.

IMG_0394.jpeg

IMG_0374.jpeg

IMG_0170.jpeg

IMG_0697.jpeg

It takes a lot of time and effort to do everything yourself without a lift. Looks great, keep plugging away!

Great build. You’ll love the MS3 PRO. I have mine mounted behind the glove box door with milspec connectors in the firewall. I use probably 100 built in features and still have another 100 I haven’t touched.

It’s been awhile, life sure got busy the last 3 months! Coming up on 2 year anniversary of starting this build. Haven’t had much time at all to work on the car but got a few things done.

Got my new shifter from brewers and installed, picked up a set of “392 hemi” valve covers, replaced the 2” drop spindles with standard ones which brought ride height up perfectly. Have just finished bending up all new brake lines and fabricating the parking brake mount and got it mounted. Got to bleed and test the brakes today and everywhere seems to be working perfectly. First time doing brake lines for myself.

Dropped fuel tank and installed the tank pad and grounded the sending unit housing. A ton left to do but it’s slight progress.

Next on the list is fuel lines, power steering lines, clutch TO bearing lines and reservoir mounting, heater hose lines, AC unit install and hoses, radiator mount and hoses, fuel filler neck, and then I get to start the megasquirt wiring. Really want to have every system buttoned up before starting that one cause once I do I will definitely be itching the crank it up.

Also obviously exhaust and I did pick up a set of 2014 challenger seats. Planning on taking them off of their track/bases and adapting them to possibly the Procar bases to keep the height down.

View attachment 1716212783

View attachment 1716212784

View attachment 1716212785

View attachment 1716212786

Some progress is better than no progress.

Who makes the drop spindles? Don’t remember seeing those before.

Some progress is better than no progress.

Who makes the drop spindles? Don’t remember seeing those before.

I ordered the drop spindles with the K member kit from Hemi Denny. He was great and swapped them out for standards when I requested it even after a year later. They’re just mustang 2 spindles so I think they’re fairly easily found

Here’s a question for you. I’ve done all the google searching… since I’m not running the SRV valve on the 6.4Intake, how would a 6.1 intake compare straight up? There’s one for sale locally to me…
Everything I’ve read says the SRT8 intake is better but that is due to the the SRV function. Nothing to infer about the SRV disable srt8 intake vs a 6.1 intake….

Mike

Here’s a question for you. I’ve done all the google searching… since I’m not running the SRV valve on the 6.4Intake, how would a 6.1 intake compare straight up? There’s one for sale locally to me…
Everything I’ve read says the SRT8 intake is better but that is due to the the SRV function. Nothing to infer about the SRV disable srt8 intake vs a 6.1 intake….

Mike

My gut says…it depends. :p

If you want high RPM horsepower, my bet is the 6.1 intake will out perform the 6.4 intake with the SRV locked out. The reason I think this is because (as I understand it) the lock out locks the intake in long runner mode.

If you want low end torque, I think the 6.4 with an SRV lock out will be better. For the same reason.

There’s my uneducated guesses. Take them for what they are worth.

My gut says…it depends. :p

If you want high RPM horsepower, my bet is the 6.1 intake will out perform the 6.4 intake with the SRV locked out. The reason I think this is because (as I understand it) the lock out locks the intake in long runner mode.

If you want low end torque, I think the 6.4 with an SRV lock out will be better. For the same reason.

There’s my uneducated guesses. Take them for what they are worth.

Your thoughts echo my own! Part of me just wants it for aesthetics ha
That 6.1 Intake just looks so legit though it’s gotta add at least 20hp ;)

Seriously though in a 3200ish lb car I don’t think the 6.4 is going to be struggling down low with a 4 spd manual…

Mike

Your thoughts echo my own! Part of me just wants it for aesthetics ha
That 6.1 Intake just looks so legit though it’s gotta add at least 20hp ;)

Seriously though in a 3200ish lb car I don’t think the 6.4 is going to be struggling down low with a 4 spd manual…

Mike
I can tell you from experience that the last thing you need on the street is more low speed torque. My 6.1 run a Frank Racing Scud camshaft, .219/.223, .571/.574. It made 420FLBS to the wheels @ 3200RPM, 405HP @ 5800RPM and carries 400HP to 6900RPM! I shift at about 6500/6600RPM. I run the 855 5-speed/3.73/285/35-18 which are 26" tall. I can destroy my tires in first and second gear on the street!

20230812_094910.jpg

20230506_183743~2.jpg

20230812_095214.jpg

20230812_095320.jpg

20230812_095438.jpg

i-2bfbGDH-X3.jpg

i-dPKMFNG-X3.jpg

I can tell you from experience that the last thing you need on the street is more low speed torque. My 6.1 run a Frank Racing Scud camshaft, .219/.223, .571/.574. It made 420FLBS to the wheels @ 3200RPM, 405HP @ 5800RPM and carries 400HP to 6900RPM! I shift at about 6500/6600RPM. I run the 855 5-speed/3.73/285/35-18 which are 26" tall. I can destroy my tires in first and second gear on the street!

View attachment 1716217352

View attachment 1716217354

View attachment 1716217355

View attachment 1716217356

View attachment 1716217357

View attachment 1716217358

View attachment 1716217360

I want it all! :)

But if I had to chose one or the other, in an A-Body I would probably pick the top end HP.

I Love it!

:banana:

That’s such a sweet ride! I was going to ask what your tire width was but see it’s there! I’m hoping with the 315’s and 3:55’s that I wont have toooo many traction issues on the low end lol

We’ll see what I end up doing. Seller of intake seems motivated but won’t go below $450 and it’s about a 90 minute drive from me.

Also I don’t know if it’s going to work or not, but my plan for the challenger buckets is to take the seats off the factory bases/tracks and adapt them to Procar bucket seat adapters. Fingers crossed…

Mike

That’s such a sweet ride! I was going to ask what your tire width was but see it’s there! I’m hoping with the 315’s and 3:55’s that I wont have toooo many traction issues on the low end lol

We’ll see what I end up doing. Seller of intake seems motivated but won’t go below $450 and it’s about a 90 minute drive from me.

Also I don’t know if it’s going to work or not, but my plan for the challenger buckets is to take the seats off the factory bases/tracks and adapt them to Procar bucket seat adapters. Fingers crossed…

Mike
$450 is a good price for a 6.1 intake as long as it isn't butchered. There's one for sale near me for $650 and it looks like someone ported it with a chainsaw!

Not sure what rules Procar is playing by but if this is a $91 vehicle specific “adapter” color me unimpressed. Website said both were in stock (driver and passenger side). Just received a box with no invoice or product ID and only one adapter.
Clearly the wrong one…. Just called, talked to a guy for 2 minutes who said “let me transfer you to another guy who handles online orders” which turned out to be a voicemail machine…. Great. ‍♂️‍♂

IMG_0747.jpeg

IMG_0746.jpeg

Not sure what rules Procar is playing by but if this is a $91 vehicle specific “adapter” color me unimpressed. Website said both were in stock (driver and passenger side). Just received a box with no invoice or product ID and only one adapter.
Clearly the wrong one…. Just called, talked to a guy for 2 minutes who said “let me transfer you to another guy who handles online orders” which turned out to be a voicemail machine…. Great. ‍♂️‍♂

View attachment 1716217896

View attachment 1716217897
The big hump closest to the rocker panel is where bench seats mount. Push the bracket inward and you will be good. Note the dimples in the floor close to the hump? That's where the holes go for bucket seats.

The big hump closest to the rocker panel is where bench seats mount. Push the bracket inward and you will be good. Note the dimples in the floor close to the hump? That's where the holes go for bucket seats.
Ah okay that makes perfect sense now. I was assuming they would utilize the same outside holes with me needing to drill through for two new inside holes not using all 4 new holes. Thanks!

Mike @ HCA

I just received the brackets from Courbeau. They look the same as yours plus they include duel locking sliders. They line up perfectly with the stock bucket seat holes.

Got the drivers seat mount fabricated. Dropped the Procar brakes down in the front 1.25” to get the seat angle right, and fabricated brackets off the factory seat braces to fit to some Universal Sparco slider frames I bought off summit. Turned out great. I should finish up passenger side on Monday. Not using any of the power options. Cut out a lot of the factory bracketry from the donor seat. Slides forward and back great, shifter is in a perfect position. Not too tall. Just wish the headrest was about 2” shorter or more low profile overall.

For anyone that says they can’t be used, it’s really not hard once you start taking it apart and seeing what needs to be cut and what needs to be added.
Super comfortable seats!

IMG_0833.jpeg

IMG_0831.jpeg

IMG_0832.jpeg

-
Back