70 dart 6.4 8hp70 for mom

-

Cuddy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Its time to start work on Moms car. I bought a 6.4L gen 3 hemi and an 8hp70 from a wrecked 2020 scat pack charger a few months ago. Mom wants fuel injection a/c and an automatic so this package fits the bill. The car is a rust free 70 dodge dart swinger i got from California in 2020. It has frame ties and torque boxes already so all i have to add is core stiffening bracket. She wants near stock driveability so the only change will be TTI headers. She decided she wants the car to be white which is fine with me. We are going to stick with the duel snorkel hood with the black hood treatment and black tail stripe. I will be doing a full QA1 front suspension in the front along with a borgenson gear box. I will post some pics as soon as my computer will let me

Last edited:
I would really love to share some photos but everything is to big for the site to handle

Ok did some work today. TTi mounts installed. Holley oil pan kinda installed my torque wrench was not behaving. Tried to test fit engine in the car. Does anyone out there know if you can use an 8hp70 In a 70 dart with a 6.4. Can't find a mount at holley and quick measurements say it to long. Car is going to the body shop tomorrow.....

Ok did some work today. TTi mounts installed. Holley oil pan kinda installed my torque wrench was not behaving. Tried to test fit engine in the car. Does anyone out there know if you can use an 8hp70 In a 70 dart with a 6.4. Can't find a mount at holley and quick measurements say it to long. Car is going to the body shop tomorrow.....

I am sure an 8HP70 can be used in an A-Body, but it will take some fabrication.

Here is another thread where a guys is doing something similar, but using a different front suspension:

Here is another one installed:

Looks like he used the USCarTools kit and a Holley mount:

As of today the car is at the body shop. dropping off the engine and trans and all my other goodies on Monday. I'm still not able to upload any photos but I will keep working on it. I also ordered a console and shifter out of a 2020 challenger because a 70 dart console seems to be impossible to come by.

Last edited:
As of today the car is at the body shop. dropping off the engine and trans and all my other goodies on Monday. I'm still not able to upload any photos but I will keep working on it. I also ordered a console and shifter out of a 2020 challenger because a 70 dart console seems to be impossible to come by.
Screenshot_20240109-091829_Facebook.jpg

Another update I scored a 2020 challenger center console and shifter on ebay. I think this will solve some problems and sure to create more but it will have a nice console in it now. I think the body shop is going to do some youtube videos on the car. I will post links when they come in.

Last edited:
Well the boys over at Custom Classics have started on getting engine and transmission in the car. Trans tunnel is the first problem they will be tackling. Hoping they post some videos that might help anyone else out there. Heading up there Monday 1/29 to drop off the challenger console. hoping to get some pics that can be uploaded. Working on getting some SRT challenger seat for mock up right now

I can only imagine what a custom auto shop charges per hour now.......

For body work they are reasonable. Paint is hurts a lot more. car has all good clean metal which helps a lot

20200406_141055.jpg

Give'm a heads up.. Might as well start buying 73 up steering components

Will I need anything other than the 73 and up center link. I already have the pitman arm and idler arm from borgeson

Will I need anything other than the 73 and up center link. I already have the pitman arm and idler arm from borgeson
Center link with the matching idker and pitman that you have. You may have to play with tie rod length.. I've been looking at mine and they sure look like they need shortened... They're as sort as they go now. Has me scratching my head. I think it may have to do with mine is still drum spindles...

You may also find that the idler wants to just bump the pan at full lock (right).

I have all pro forged components. I don't know if that help or hurts. Thank you for you help

You may also find that the idler wants to just bump the pan at full lock (right).

Check this with the suspension fully assembled. The steering stops are part of the ball joint forgings, not the steering box. Not saying it can’t happen, just that it can’t be check correctly without everything bolted up and maybe an eyeball alignment done,

Thank you for the info. I will check that when it is all assembled and report back

Check this with the suspension fully assembled. The steering stops are part of the ball joint forgings, not the steering box. Not saying it can’t happen, just that it can’t be check correctly without everything bolted up and maybe an eyeball alignment done,
Still on my "to do" list is complete steering.. What little bit I've messed with it, I've found that my tires hit the frame before they hit a stop.. with tie rods unhooked. It appears that the stop is nothing more than a nub that hits one of the assembly bolts. Again, drum brakes. With the tie rods tossed on, it'll turn full lock (stopping internally in the box) and is ever so slightly touching the pan.

I still need to delve into this and this all just initial assessments but from what I'm seeing, the stops are in the box.. I max the box out before anything else hits (except pan). Maybe I'm not seeing something.. missing something.. or everything changes with correct alignment. Again, all initial stuff here.

I've read into it here and swap pages on FB etc. All typical stuff with the swaps... the really tight swaps especially (ie 6.4 intake paired with TTI) I believe its party due to shifting the power steering box to the left to make room for TTIs. That shifts all of the steering components left, causing that light pan bump. If I could shift the box right, I'd be in the clear.

Well the engine and transmission are in and as usual all the pics I have are to big. The engine, TTI mounts, qa1 k frame, Borgeson gear box all fit great. engine is close to the fire wall as we knew it would be. trans tunnel is where the magic happened. The tunnel was cut out and a new trans mount was attached the frame ties using the Holley mount and isolator. Everything fits snug but will all work. I'm having the radiator opening opened up to the 26 inch size so I can get a radiator from Mancini. the interior will be here this week and the shop is working on the a/c. rough estimate is to be in the body shop is three weeks

Love to see some pictures. There has to be a way. :D

Flickr account? You can get one for free and then link to the pictures then. Or some picture editing software, pretty sure there is free stuff. Heck, the photo viewing software that came with Windows 10 has a resize option under the dot-dot-dot option.

tried that to no avail. think i have windows 11 on my home computer will try again this weekend

So quick update. Interior is here hope to get that to the shop on Friday. I ordered a bunch of parts this week including a radiator and 1.03 torsion bars from Mancini. A 73 center link off Ebay and inner fender braces from XV engineering. Body shop is working with vintage air on the a/c. I also ordered a hydro boost set up from Bergman auto craft. Hope that rounds out all the modifications that will be done so the car can go to paint but as always, I'm sure something will pop up.

-
Back