70 Dart Custom GT Package in Crazy Plum

-

GT318

Reaction score
Hello to you all, I've searched the threads and the internet and i can't seem to find any good information regarding this car I found. According to the fender tag, it would be a '70 Dart Custom with the GT Package in Crazy Plum colour with the 318 engine and 3 speed automatic. The car is fairly rusted, to the point where I would not use the shell and frame...But all the original drive train is present as well as the interior. But everything is in rough shape and would need major work. My questions are the following:
1-Is this car rare?
2-Is it worth it to save it, assuming I find a shell at a decent price?
3-Any restoration garages you could suggest would be great, as I do not plan on doing the work myself...not enough knowledge, tools or space...
Thanks,
Donald

It was basically just a option package on a otherwise normal dart. I think it had rocker emblems, bucket seats, and a console

My friend has a 70 dart gt slant 6 buckets column shift. Cool car seems to be rare but not sure if desirable. dustin

If the frame and body is that bad .... I do not think you would ever recover the cost of that kind of restoration ...I look at what I have into mine and the body and frame were in great shape.

You should get some good pics of the interior/exterior to help document
the car.
Not too many around any more.

I don't recall the production numbers for 1970, I know that for 1971 they only made ~1255 Dart GT's, it was only 1.3% of production for that year.

The GT option code would appear as A65 on the fender tag and buildsheet. The trim in 1970 was on the rear quarter, not on the rocker. Only 71's got the GT rocker trim. The badge the '70's used was the same as the '69 GT's, but in a different spot.

I would love to see a fender tag breakdown on the car, if you don't mind posting it. Or you could PM me. I have a lot of info saved on the GT's, although most of what i kept was for the '71's. Too bad Bruce isn't around to help us with this one.

Do you have any pictures of the car? Would love to see it. Here's a shot showing the '70 GT trim, borrowed from the internet.

DartGTwithcleaninterior036.jpg

The car is located in the Carribean. I spotted it while on vacation there. The body is all rusted out..I could punch my fingers through the frame in the back...So obviously, only the drive train, steering column, dash and interior is salvageable. I was thinking of finding a body and putting it all together...Here is what I got from the fender tag:
LH23:
Dodge Dart,Demon
High
2 Door Hardtop
G0R: 318 230HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
Windsor, ONT, CAN
275821: Sequence number
E44: 318 cid 2 barrel V8 230hp
D31: A904 3-Speed Auto Trans.
FC7: Plum Crazy Metallic Exterior Color
H6X9: Trim – High, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black
TX9: Black Int. Door Frames
Z14: Build Date: 14
EG0920: Order number
V1*: Full Vinyl Top, Unknown color
A65: Dart GT Package
C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C55: Bucket Seats
F11: 46 Amp Alternator (std with AC)
G33: LH Remote Racing Mirror
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
M25: Wide sill moldings
M26: Wheel Lip Moldings
N31: Optional Engine Compression Ratio
M43: Grille Trim Moldings
M88: Decklid Moldings Treatment
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
V78: Accent Stripes, Deleted
Y09: Build to Specs for Export

I can get the full car for cheap. The problem is shipping these parts off the island. It might be expensive, but again would it be worth it? Do I save it?

Wow, that's a really rare car! But...the parts are easy to find, if the car is rotted shot and many miles away overseas.....not worth the time :banghead:

Rare does not mean valuable. Restored it will be worth less than a decent factory 340 car. If you are into spending 40k to end up having a 15k car, go for it.

These are the pictures from the links...

right.jpg

318_engine.jpg

There you go! :thumbup:

Looks pretty rough. If the frame is as bad as you say it's not financially worth it to save it. It's definitely a pretty rare car, but as was already mentioned "rare" does not translate well into "valuable" for the GT's. I wish it did, I have two '71 GT's. Typically they don't bring much more than a well optioned Dart, and not anything near 340 car numbers.

The VIN isn't in the GT registry. Not a lot are though, unfortunately the real expert we had here, Bruce, aka 7071DartGTReg, passed away a few years ago. I managed to hang onto most of the data from the website, but compared to what Bruce knew it's pretty small.

If you want to look at some other info on GT's, most of the info on mine are in these threads. The threads are old, I am in the process of redoing the engine for the EL5 car, the GK6 car is a few projects back. Too many cars. :banghead:

On my EL5 GT

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=49032

My GK6 GT

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=67489

Theres not a square corner on that jalopy.
Doesn't even look like a good donor.
Nice to know it once existed, but unless your a
millionaire, I'd take a pass on that one.

I was thinking of salvaging the engine, trans, rear axle, front left fender, core support, trunk lip, dash, steering column, the seats and center console. This will be much less costly to ship and I can use these parts on a clean shell I could find...And end up with a numbers matching car. If you do not take into account the costs of shipping, the costs of the parts and the shell, how much do you think it will cost to paint the shell, redo the interior and install these parts and have the car run?

I was thinking of salvaging the engine, trans, rear axle, front left fender, core support, trunk lip, dash, steering column, the seats and center console. This will be much less costly to ship and I can use these parts on a clean shell I could find...And end up with a numbers matching car. If you do not take into account the costs of shipping, the costs of the parts and the shell, how much do you think it will cost to paint the shell, redo the interior and install these parts and have the car run?

Numbers matching car??? Swapping the VIN# to another body/car is a whole new can of worms and is a felony here in the USA.....probably Canada too.....

It is a very rare car too bad it was nt looked after I have a 1971 gt there aren t many beleive me!

You wont have a numbers matching car. You will have a forgery, and has been stated already, that is a federal offense..... Use the parts on another car but leave the VIN ALONE! All the car is anyway, is a dart with a trim package. When its all said and done, you will probally have 2 or 3 times more in the car than its worth.

Numbers matching car??? Swapping the VIN# to another body/car is a whole new can of worms and is a felony here in the USA.....probably Canada too.....

Wow! Felony?! Ok, I guess that is out of the question...My bad, I thought it would not matter when a car is being restored to its original specs...I see "numbers matching" cars everywhere in the collectors circles and it seems they get a premium in value...So I thought that is something you have to make sure to do when restoring a car. So that's a major no. It makes the projet even less worth the effort if the numbers on the drive train do not match the numbers on the body. But in that situation, which VIN are you supposed to use after restoring the car? The drive train one or the body one?

-
Back