70 Dart grille restoration.......Pics

-

Johnny Dart

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Took some pics of the grille restoration I did.
The grille was fun to paint(not)painstakingly taping off the different sections.I spent 2 days taping and painting that sucker.I used Mopar argent paint for the grille.
I painted the radiator support to match what the factory did,with a little overspray to finish off the look.
Just another step down on the long process of restoring a car.
Take care.
John

Picture 187.jpg

Picture 188.jpg

Picture 189.jpg

Picture 190.jpg

Picture 191.jpg

Picture 417.jpg

I have a grill from my 70 swinger that has seen a lot of sun and weather. I will be doing mine in the near term. I hope it turns out as good as yours. Nice job. Howard

Thanks for the nice comments guys !!!!!!!

Thought I would tell you how I did it:
1.First I painted all the silver areas.

2.Then I taped the freshly painted silver area with blue low tack masking tape.

3.The thin area of silver I made my own thin tape by putting the tape on a piece of sheet metal.Then measured out the correct thickness,and cut it with a razor blade and straight edge.

4.Then you just put the thin pieces of tape on the thin areas of silver.

5.Paint it black,let it dry,peel the tape,and your done.:cheers:

johnny dart looks very nice. i do have to say a couple of things here though. first these are old pics. you must have done this rest awhile back. the 318 air cleaner, and the glass fuel filter stands out as i know you aren't useing these anymore. i think i was the only one to notice this so far. lastly on a different note i was just wondering why you choose the 71 grill paint scheme for your dart vs. the 70? don't get me wrong i like the look, but just curiouse....

johnny dart looks very nice. i do have to say a couple of things here though. first these are old pics. you must have done this rest awhile back. the 318 air cleaner, and the glass fuel filter stands out as i know you aren't useing these anymore. i think i was the only one to notice this so far. lastly on a different note i was just wondering why you choose the 71 grill paint scheme for your dart vs. the 70? don't get me wrong i like the look, but just curiouse....

When I was painting the grille I thought I was painting it the correct way.I saw several pics of the grille in 70 Darts with it this way in various Chrysler books I have collected.After you mentioned it I googled 70 Dart.It appears that the center section is painted silver,it does look different,but I cant tell what makes it different because the shots were not straight on.Enlighten me here if you would.

Oh well,I actually like the look of it this way better.

And yes,you have a keen eye !!!! LOL
Some things have changed in the engine bay.It seems like a daily occurrence.8)

Thanks for the compliments.

i knew i wasn't seeing thing with the engine bay! you are right there are alot of 70 grilles painted like 71. i think i lke the 71 better myself too. a true 70 grille will be grey or argent in the center fin section as opposed to black. that is the only difference. other than that looks great!

-
Back