70 dart windshield instal how to do

-

two_70darts

Reaction score
I have a ? for any one who has intsaled a 70 dart windsheild i had mine put in 20 plus years ago by a buddy i thought, he put it in with roofing jack cement i think that was wrong yea.yea any how ive seen books that show a window gasket plus some type of rubber filler strip that goes along the bottom of the window does this sound correct ,ho yea it leaked like **** and ow i have some floor and dash repairs thanks buddy ford guy what can i do any helpfull info would be superbad thankz:dontknow:

The windshield gasket for the Dart Swinger is a one piece unit. There is no additional rubber piece that gets wedged in. The gasket is first installed in the rough opening then a cord is inserted into the deep receiving grove all around. The windshield is inserted into one corner and then the cord is pulled out and forward which bends the front half of the rubber gasket forward so that the glass pops in. Check out this article below. They use a screen roller to force the gasket lip over the glass but a cord works better. The second web link is for the gasket on eBay. Also get new molding clips because the old one arfe always rusty and broken.
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...outh_valiant_windshield_install/photo_01.html

eBay gasket:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-7...011QQitemZ320175474440QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

I think it helps these days to use a little urethane adhesive around the edges before installing the gasket, otherwise it will leak again.

i just had mine installed. $90 each. at my house. you might call around, then if it leaks it warrantied

I agree with the poly. adhesive remark.

I’m going to tell you how I do my windshields. Sort of unorthodox but works for me.

Number one: If you have never worked with windshields be very very careful about twisting them going in or out. They take abuse well but if your twist them much, all of a sudden you may see a great big crack.
Do you have the old one out yet?

I have a number of putty knives dulled and rounded smooth. Once I get the windshield lose from the rubber I “shoe horn it out”. Working around as I go. (You really need three or four hands but I manage with elbows.) This is that twisting I warned you about.

Chrysler put something like plumbers putty between the rubber and the body. It is junk.
It shrinks up over the years. I clean all that out and use black polyurethane sealant from Home Depot. This “glues” the gasket in and I can take the windshield back out later with out disturbing the gasket. It works.. Trust me.

Puttin the windshield in:
Will you resuse the old one?
That old rubber gasket will be too small IF you leave it lying around for a few days.
But there is a fix and you won’t have to buy a new one.
The day before you are going to reinstall it, tie it between two post or trees with a come-a-long and some tension on it. Stretch it a little. Then when you put it in the car it will be big enough.

One more thing. The last one I did I took a high speed with a sanding disk and chamfered the glass edge. That way it was sort of “rounded”. It made it easier to shoehorn it back in the rubber grove. Also it made the edge more resistant to chipping as the metal putty knives were used.

I have done them like this and it makes the next time a lot easer. Plus guaranteed not to leak.

-
Back