'70 Dart wiper blade removal

-

DrillNFill

Reaction score
Hey all,
I know this is a stupid question to everyone on here, and I've been changing wiper blades for 30 years now, but I'm confused as to how you remove the wiper blades on my '70. Not the whole wiper arm, just the blade. (I didn't see any other threads concerning just the blades.)
The Dart service manual makes it appear that there is a "pin-type" attachment to the wiper arm but that doesn't appear to be the case with mine. As you can see in the photos below, there's a bendy-tab right below the wiper serial #, but when I press it and try to pull the blade off nothing happens.

I just don't want to break anything with my freakish super-human strength :rofl: Does it pull straight off the arm when you press the tab? The replacement blades my dad got me are new production but similar in appearance of the attachment. I feel very silly having to ask this

DartWiper1.jpg
DartWiper2.jpg

If you are trying to remove the metal wiper blade and the refill as one unit you push down on the tab under the arm as seen in you first photo near the lettering. Forgot to mention rock the metal blade so the divit in the hole is not ingaged at the same time.

If you are trying to remove the refill, there should be squeeze tangs near one end OR a single tab at the end of the metal wiper blade that has to be slightly bent up to slide the refill out.

If you are trying to remove the metal wiper blade and the refill as one unit you push down on the tab under the arm as seen in you first photo near the lettering. Forgot to mention rock the metal blade so the divit in the hole is not ingaged at the same time.

If you are trying to remove the refill, there should be squeeze tangs near one end OR a single tab at the end of the metal wiper blade that has to be slightly bent up to slide the refill out.

Thanks! yes I'm trying to remove the whole wiper blade, couldn't find refills online and the rubber is shot. When you say "push down on the tab", I assume you mean towards the windshield and away from the wiper arm. Also, does the wiper blade slide off the end of the arm, or up and away from the arm? Is it a "pin type" wiper arm or a "hook type" wiper arm? Just so I know which way to pull without destroying stuff.
thanks for your reply =)

Yes, after pushing down the tab, the wiper blade slide off the end of the arm, but sometimes it's stuck. Dirt, rust...
Do not hesitate to force a little bit.

Thanks guys I figured it out when I got home from work. Pushed it hard and jiggled the blade, I was able to figure out how they were put together. If anyone's interested I took a picture of the newly installed blades and the package- it says *cough* Mustang restoration parts *cough cough* but my Dad ordered them from Year One's Mopar section when he was getting something for his RR. It pretty much looks exactly like the old one. Looks nice in case anyone else's wipers were chewed down to the metal like mine were

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

-
Back