-

Tomd.

Reaction score
Vehicle info:
original 318 car and Xmember
Edelbrock RPM Performer heads,
manual steering
318 to 440 swap
Swap kit is from Classic, but appears to be identical to the Schmacker kit that is installed in my brother in-laws 71 440 Scamp (He is running factory exhaust manifolds).
The problem I have is the header is hitting the steering box. To make the header fit I will have to put a large dent in two of the header tubes I bought the TTI headers because everything I have read says they fit. Has anyone had any luck getting the TTI headers in without modifying them? I can post pics if that will help. I just spent a lot of money for the TTI headers and really don't want to start putting dents in them to make them fit.

I was planning on those for my Barracuda to get rid of the Hooker FWs.
Did you check the engine position (TTI footnote 39) and shim pack (TTI footnote 46) for possible fixes?

Have you attempted to use the search function? I'm sure there's a BB swap thread or ten...also check out bigblockdart.com. Lots of good info and pretty sure there are some build pics. That being said, the bit about shims does sound at least somewhat familiar...

I had to dint 2 tubes at the steering box and 2 tubes on each side for the torsion bar.
Non were very big
Production tolerances on old car were poor , some will fit just others not so good.

I don't know about the BB headers but I had to shim my SB to get the TTIs to fit right. I"d check their site for the tect article no the engine position.

Thanks for the help. I got everything to fit. I had to cut the lt mount front edge on an angle like the Schumacher mounts (I bought my kit from classic) and add shims to the drivers side. I shimmed it with washer, Schumacher shim kit should be here tomorrow.

I am new here but I just purchased the Schumacher kit for the 6cyl to 440 kit for a 74 dart 4dr sE. The installations instructions for the headers show that you grind off part of the power steering box right behind where the pressure hose goes in. There website has the instructions posted. Hope it helps

You could try the Borgeson box. It's smaller and has a 14:1 ratio as opposed to the stock 16:1. It's a lot firmer too. When I get the money, that's what I'm getting.

-
Back