70 Duster/5.7 hemi finally makes it to the track...

-
''

I agree to a point but the problem is companies like us spend a lot of time researching different combinations of what works and what doesn't. So once a cam is released and is proven to perform other shops are quick to copy. Just trying to give you a business prospective.

To the OP That's a strong running build there.

Yeah - I dig that its proprietary information - but surely this is nothing new? Crane, Comp and Lunati would all face the same issues but don't tread the same path....

And without that info up front...how do we know we're not being sold a Comp grind in different wrapping?

Apologies to the OP for the OT ....

Damn near stock suspension and running 10.30's with a damn Footbrake... Excuse me while I attempt to scrape my jaw off the floor...

Yeah - I dig that its proprietary information - but surely this is nothing new? Crane, Comp and Lunati would all face the same issues but don't tread the same path....

And without that info up front...how do we know we're not being sold a Comp grind in different wrapping?

Apologies to the OP for the OT ....

This is true but those companies only offer what we call cookie cutter cams a one size fits all approach. That is why you only see a few choices for the engine, With shops like us who have run numeriouse cams at different custom specs not to mention we can tailor a cam to your specific needs is where the valuble information comes into play.

Apologize to the OP again for the off topic.

This is true but those companies only offer what we call cookie cutter cams a one size fits all approach. That is why you only see a few choices for the engine, With shops like us who have run numeriouse cams at different custom specs not to mention we can tailor a cam to your specific needs is where the valuble information comes into play.

Apologize to the OP again for the off topic.

Last comment on this - I appreciate MM reasons as I do HHP, Arrington etc - but I would never fit a cam I didn't know the specs of - and I'm sure no pro racer would for certain.

Doesn't mean it has to be advertised...but at least tell the customer! :shock:

I'll bet if you went straight to Tony, he'd provide a cam card to you. HHP is all into their "proprietaryness" (is that a word?) lol and wouldn't give me any specs of the cam they were recommending for my 392. However, at one point I needed to bypass them and went straight to Tony. He was very patient and understanding about my build concerns overall. When we came to the topic of horsepower and street drivability, he told me he'd spec the cam himself. He provided the cam card and asked me to not share the info. I'm just fine with that...

Cam is one thing, but I know that the intake is key in this engines success.

If you ditch the carb and put EFI on it I bet you I could make it go 9's easily

If you ditch the carb and put EFI on it I bet you I could make it go 9's easily

From everything I've seen, a well tuned carb will do just as well as efi in drag racing/ WOT applications.

Have you seen different? Assuming same intake, etc

generally speaking, a carb cant do anywhere near as well throughout the curve. The new hemis dont like a typical dizzy timing curve either. You can run the hemi's a little on the fat side (12.2-12.4) and they do very well. A little on the lean side and they dont like it so much.

generally speaking, a carb cant do anywhere near as well throughout the curve. The new hemis dont like a typical dizzy timing curve either. You can run the hemi's a little on the fat side (12.2-12.4) and they do very well. A little on the lean side and they dont like it so much.

I have not seen any curves back to back with the only changed variable EFI vs Carb. Do you have any?

Is RockinRobin using a distributor? He'd be the first on the site if so.

You can run the hemi's a little on the fat side (12.2-12.4) and they do very well. A little on the lean side and they dont like it so much.

Have to agree with this - my last dyno session was a peak hp run...no tuning - the AF was low 13s

When I got to the track I found 1.5 stages richer yielded better results in mph.

Now I have the AF around 12.4 , the intake plenum divided and more initial timing Im hoping it'll show even more at the track...

I have not seen any curves back to back with the only changed variable EFI vs Carb. Do you have any?

Is RockinRobin using a distributor? He'd be the first on the site if so.
I don't believe so. I thought is a ms which is a dizzy like curve.

Posted via Topify on Android

5.7 stroked out to about 414 cubic inches. 12.5:1 compression.
Manley pistons, rods, crank. Eagle heads ported. Comp cam.
Motor was built by Tony Bischoff, besracing.com
Mopar drak pak hi rise intake and Holley Dominator 1050cfm carb.
MSD 6-Hemi ignition, stock coils.
Built 727 torqueflite tranny, manual valve body, PTI 5000 stall 8" converter.
Mopar 8 3/4" rear end with Moser spool and 35 spline axles. 4.56 gears.
Mark Williams driveshaft and solid u-joints
6 cylinder torsion bars up front, Cal Trac bars on standard leaf springs in back
Drag shocks all the way around.
Looking to knock another .4 seconds off that time, It should do a better 60' than it currently is.
Someone was asking if I was running a distributor. The ignition is controlled by a MSD 6-hemi ignition control box. The curve is completely programmable. After some carb tuning I am running as fast as 10.18/129.5 mph with a 1.5 60'. I really haven't messed with the ignition tuning much other than to advance the whole curve 1 degree due to heat/humidity down here in central Texas. This week I get to take it to a nice track near San Antonio and I'm hoping for some high 9's.

-
Back