70 Duster Exterior Question

-

Ehbody

Reaction score
Hi Guys...I've seen some pictures of 1970 dusters that had shark tooth grills, the stripes on the side that go over the gas cap and the "340" logo at the rear(under the stripe). Was that a 1970 option or have people been putting 1971 decals on their 1970's? Dan

You could NOT get a sharktooth grill on the 1970 Duster 340, nor the 340 stripes along the top body lines. Both were introduced on the 1971 models. I am an original owner of a 1970 Duster 340. The early 70 models had a thicker side stripe like you see on my car and sometime after December 1969 the side stripes became thinner.

DSC00065(1) (Small).JPG

I didn't think so (from what I've been told by a very knowledgable friend), but nobody seems to question them on their decals/grill (being polite maybe?).The 71 decals do look nice!! Did anyone notice that a 4-speed with pistol grip was an option for 1970? That yellow '70 in the picture is exactly like mine(when the paint is finished)...Nice car Coyote...and GO PACKERS!!!

Hi Guys...I've seen some pictures of 1970 dusters that had shark tooth grills, the stripes on the side that go over the gas cap and the "340" logo at the rear(under the stripe). Was that a 1970 option or have people been putting 1971 decals on their 1970's? Dan

My '70 has the '71 side and tail stripes..

duster 012.jpg

Anyone know how to contact Challengergary on this site. I need a side stripe kit and a 340 callout decal. All the forums where he's taking care of people are closed to comment. Gary, if you see this please contact me. I need a callout like the one on my hood to the left (Black car). Also would like what I believe is a white 1971 or 1972 side stripe kit with the 340 connected. Similar to the black stripe on this yellow 72 (only white and no words in the stripe). Thanks
88EDDDE3-14F5-40AC-B9DF-61D030B4520A.jpeg

35DC7D89-8A6B-47AB-8FD9-FCC18AEDE1F1.jpeg

Thanks for your help, I got ahold of him. Really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Hello,
You can buy all of these decals Mopar certified through Stripe Classics on EBay. I have bought several decals from them and they are of excellent quality. The 340/360 numerals are an individual decal that you will install after the side stripe. If you are going to do the install yourself I recommend purchasing a product called Rapid Tach that is application fluid. It will make your job go much nicer. I’ve attached some photos of the decals on my 72 that I installed in just a couple hours total.

1004BB34-BCB0-470F-AD46-836D36506B40.jpeg

AD7CB560-E662-40A4-A93A-37F2302E595B.jpeg

4E4C03E5-9A19-4D97-887B-0B695D31C91F.jpeg

Do you know of the proper guidelines for where to apply that side stripe? How far below the body line does it sit? Start from the back and go forward, start in the middle and work outward? Any help would be appreciated. I have the same stripe to apply and can't find any direction. I prefer not to wing it. Thx

I do not know of any guidelines per se. I would say that the body lines tell you where to apply the side stripe. I did these in under 3 hours with little to no hiccups. If you want to know more call me on my cell.
thanks Jim

Last edited:
I do not know of any guidelines per se. I would say that the body lines tell you where to apply the side stripe. I did these in under 3 hours with little to no hiccups. If you want to know more call me on my cell. 317-266-9853

thanks Jim
Thanks Jim, I'm not quite ready to apply the stripe kit, but I may take you up on your phone call offer. Did you put the stripe on the body line, or maybe an 1/8-3/16" below it? Thx

That is question with not the simplest of answers. It is close to the body line but most importantly straight from the quarter to the fender. The reason I say that is that these panels on these old Mopars do not line up 100% exact so you just have to install it so it looks correct. By using the Rapid Tack you will be able to move the decal on the panel for 5 minutes or so.

That is question with not the simplest of answers. It is close to the body line but most importantly straight from the quarter to the fender. The reason I say that is that these panels on these old Mopars do not line up 100% exact so you just have to install it so it looks correct. By using the Rapid Tack you will be able to move the decal on the panel for 5 minutes or so.
That makes sense, nothing is ever straight or lines up exactly. I will be sure to get some Rapid Tack. Thanks again for your help.

-
Back