70 Duster Fiberglass Hood For Blower

-

1970Duster340

Reaction score
Hey all, looking for a perimeter frame fiberglass hood for the Duster, one that I can cut a hole in for blower clearance. The best suggestion I've found so far is the standard replacement hood by US Body, FDUH-1....utilizing the OEM hinge, springs, and latch, using metal inserts is a huge plus for me. I've read that some people are quite happy with their products, but others have had terrible experience with them....I'm guessing I'm not the first one looking for this sort of setup, if anyone has some experience and wants to pass it on, that'd be terrific!

25altso.jpg

Sweet ride,
With a glass hood you will not be able to use stock springs.
There was a member on here that made springs for glass hoods, but you have to take the fenders off to change the spring.
I would just cut a stock steel hood and be done with it.

Sweet ride,
With a glass hood you will not be able to use stock springs.
There was a member on here that made springs for glass hoods, but you have to take the fenders off to change the spring.
I would just cut a stock steel hood and be done with it.

Thanks! In theory, the US Body stock hood is a lot heavier than the lightweight race hoods, with perimeter frame and steel inserts for hinges and latch, so it will work with stock springs, or so I've been told. With the stock steel hood, you'd have to cut through six supports, and then fabricate some sort of vertical lip to cover up the support ends, and mate it to the opening. Thought about doing it, but a perimeter frame would make it a lot cleaner....

Thanks! In theory, the US Body stock hood is a lot heavier than the lightweight race hoods, with perimeter frame and steel inserts for hinges and latch, so it will work with stock springs, or so I've been told. With the stock steel hood, you'd have to cut through six supports, and then fabricate some sort of vertical lip to cover up the support ends, and mate it to the opening. Thought about doing it, but a perimeter frame would make it a lot cleaner....

with the hood you are referring to if i'm correct you can use the stock hinge but you need a weaker spring to avoid the hood from collapsing when being shut . you can buy the special spring made for the F.G. hood.

who wants a hood haha aar stinger now in florida bolt on i like mine with out one good looking car

0703001840a.jpg

who wants a hood haha aar stinger now in florida bolt on i like mine with out one good looking car

View attachment 1715029108

Awesome, thanks for the reply! So I take it you have one of the AAR Stinger hoods? What's the build quality like, is the gelcoat gonna explode when I take a drill and saw to it? How about the weight, did you have to go with lighter hood springs? Great looking ride! :thumbsup:

Awesome, thanks for the reply! So I take it you have one of the AAR Stinger hoods? What's the build quality like, is the gelcoat gonna explode when I take a drill and saw to it? How about the weight, did you have to go with lighter hood springs? Great looking ride! :thumbsup:
yes lighter spring but they are junk i just removed the spring and i got me a prope off a newer chrysler car and used it hood isexcellent shape it will hold up , my frist was a steel hood it work out good but a deal came up so thats why i got the glass hood good luck now i have no hood on it i have the shine on her now why hide that aweson power plant lol

Helped a friend build a 71 Dodge Demon years ago , Used a VFN glass hood , took the stock springs off , used 2 stainless pieces of tubing that would fit over the hood pins and gave them a little bend about 6 inches up from the hood pins , put a second set of pins on the other end to hold up the hood polished the tubing looked great . VFN's hood was a bolt on unit .
demon 001.jpg

I wouldn't use the stock springs (or any springs at all) if you're going with a fiberglass hood.

I cut the steel hood on my Blown '73 Duster and kept the hinges and springs, have to be very careful closing the hood or it'll twist. I'd be afraid a fiberglass hood would snap in half if you tried to close it with the springs on the hinges, there's very little material left once you cut one for a blower.

I used a VFN with Dzus fasteners. I don't think I would all out race with it because of the air gap around the blower, but should be OK for puddle jumping around town.

P1000103.JPG

-
Back