'70 Duster front-end rebuild + steering box

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my '70 Duster 318 has been a bit scary on the highway lately. It sways from side to side by itself, and I have to constantly correct the car (making sure not to overcorrect it or I might be in a bit of a pickle!). I tried playing around with the adjusting screw on my steering box and all it did was make the wheel feel a little bit tighter, but I still had that "mind of its own" behavior on the highway. Is this from my steering box, alignment, or possibly both? It will be a couple months before I will have the money to rebuild the suspension and get a new box, so I'm just trying to make sure that's the problem. What have been your guys' experiences with old, then rebuilt suspensions?

my guess is you need a new steering box, i'm in the same pickle as you. im rebuilding my front end and adding disc brakes before i stick my new engine in. just ordered the kit from PST ($379) this morning. and i just ordered a rebuilt steering box from advance auto yesterday for $244 + core... ouch.

Do you have a manual box or PS? There is a set up procedurs for the manual box that does take out most of the play, and can be done with the box in the car. All you have to do is drop the pitman arm and have an inch pound torque wrench and follow the procedure in the manual which is fairly easy.

Nah, it's power steering. I drove on the highway again today and it wasn't so bad. My current problem now though is the plume of blue smoke whenever I start it up (which I think is from both bad valve guide seals and a faulty intake manifold bolt/gasket as I have oil seeping out from one of the bolts).

-
Back