70 Duster Fuel Tank

-

fefferman

Reaction score
I pulled the fuel tank off my boy's 70 Duster yesterday to clean it out and repair a small hole. When I got the tank off there was more rust on the top side than I figured on and about another half dozen holes. When I went to look up a replacement tank on RockAuto, it called for a CR11D, which has the 4 vent holes on the side. The tank I removed didn't have any vent holes. ???? Turns out the tank that is on the car is a CR11C, which was for a 68-69 Valiant (among others). My car was made in late 69 (making it a 70 model year) but apparently they used a 69 Valiant tank on mine. Just from looking at the underside it doesn't look like it was replaced, but then again it couldn't have been replaced with the wrong tank because it would need the vent holes.
More of an interesting fact threat than a question thread. Even my Chilton book shows it as a 68-69 fuel tank. Interesting.

My 70 duster was the same way. The guy I bought the car off of had replaced the tank with a newer one that had the vents, but my car had no provisions for the vents, (9/69 build date), so now I have to find the correct tank for it.

Yep when I was buying my fuel tank... I remember there was an issue about early 70's Duster (different tank), and I am not sure if I remember this correctly, but I think there was the same issue about early 1971 Dusters... but I might be wrong, anyway I just compared the photo with the one I had and I ordered the PRE CR11D

The 70' california models had to have the tubes (evap) & starting in 71' all cars had to have it if I remember it correctly, but dont quote me on it.

So will the tank from the 69ish valliants work? Im wondering....?

The 70' california models had to have the tubes (evap) & starting in 71' all cars had to have it if I remember it correctly, but dont quote me on it.

So will the tank from the 69ish valliants work? Im wondering....?

I put a new tank in my '70 Duster last Fall, but can't remember where I got it from.. Mine didn't have the vents either, and good reproductions are out there.. I'll try to dig up where I got it from, but do a search and some should turn up.. There are ones made in Canada, where mine was made, and cheaper ones made in China that I've heard bad things about as far as quality ... Mine fit perfectly..

Good luck,

Kenny

-
Back