70 Duster rally dash Bezel Removel

-
That bezel is starting to look pretty darn good now aint it ? LOL
As for the climate controller, One could disconnect the blend door cables and wiring, bring it out with the panel. I wouldn't go that route. I would keep fishing after that 1 more bolt until I caught it.

It's out, Not knowing how all the clips and other things come out made it a pain. Took lots of pictures
I hope the reinstall with the pictures will go better. So all the small screws around the gauges are what holds the gauges in?

Can't thank you all enough
This site is the best
I'll post when I get things back together.

IMG_4531.JPG

IMG_4535.JPG

7 or 8 screws, 1/4 heads, around the perimeter. You already removed the 1 at far right.
You're going to find 4 round gaskets sandwiched between there. I don't know that these are reproduced. I normally need to hand make 2 new ones for the lower indicators.
There's a rubber washer on the reset stem in there also.

Last edited:
to grab and lift here can be a very bad move. Handle with care.
DOHfactor-1.jpg

So.. Now that the bezel is separate, You may or may not need to take it apart ( depends on your agreement with the refinish vendor ). Tips related disassembly only if.
In either case you'll need to package it for shipping. That right end is fragile and even more so with your stereo cutaway. I pick up the large wooden paint stirs from Lowes or Home Depot to use as stiffener.
The upper outer left corner has been broken during shipping too. Oversized box with lots of foam or large bubble wrap is a given.

So.. Now that the bezel is separate, You may or may not need to take it apart ( depends on your agreement with the refinish vendor ). Tips related disassembly only if.
In either case you'll need to package it for shipping. That right end is fragile and even more so with your stereo cutaway. I pick up the large wooden paint stirs from Lowes or Home Depot to use as stiffener.
The upper outer left corner has been broken during shipping too. Oversized box with lots of foam or large bubble wrap is a given.

Got the bezel separated from the gauge and bubble wrapped, with support on the radio end. Probably did not need to do anymore before taking it in. Found a place not far, taking it in, not shipping it.
Now that the car is ready to store, need to move it over to get it in car bag.
Do I need to do more as far as the wiring. Going to put electric tape on the wires going to the gauges.
Two studs on back, what about the large round connector with the pins. Two wire on the right of lower steering column. I think they are grounds.

IMG_4509.JPG

IMG_4521.JPG

Who is doing the refinishing on the bezel?
Good job on removal. 1st time is nerve wracking. Any other time after that is just as bad lol.
Try to do any upgrades you can while bezel is out. Switches gauges circuit boards etc.
There is an old thread on here where someone stiffened the circuit boards by soldering in household copper wire as support.
Good luck.

I wouldn't worry about the ground wires for now. Only 1 of those is factory and it isn't absolutely req'd.
Main thing, Nut and bolt the big red and black for ALT' gauge together and tape well. Half arse secure the steering column. Either shove the stem back into the light switch for off or disconnect that switch wire connector.
Check that the wiper switch is turned off. Hook up the battery cable. Fire it up.

I wouldn't worry about the ground wires for now. Only 1 of those is factory and it isn't absolutely req'd.
Main thing, Nut and bolt the big red and black for ALT' gauge together and tape well. Half arse secure the steering column. Either shove the stem back into the light switch for off or disconnect that switch wire connector.
Check that the wiper switch is turned off. Hook up the battery cable. Fire it up.

Will do, Busy day today, want to have enough time to get the car moved and in the bag. Shooting for Sunday morning. I'll update then.

Thanks for the help

-
Back