70' Duster rear end, trans upgrades

-

ironside

Reaction score
Finally getting a little closer, should have been done months ago. Ditched the 727, 8-3/4 combo for a QuickTime scatter shield, Sfi flywheel and Ram clutch. Rebuilt an older 4 speed I had laying around as well.

Big change was rear section of the car. It had a ugly tub job at some point, a cobbled in spare tire well and the underside was just ugly. That all had to change.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I bought a set of amd repop inner wheel houses, then widened about 2.5" to take to the frame rail. Nasty cutting out all the old crap and bad welding. Once everything was welded up I seem sealed in many of factory locations.

To fix that stupi spare tire section bought a new trunk pan. I don't remember what brand it was, but next time I'll be sticking to amd.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Took better part of a day cleaning the entire underside of the car. I previously put frame ties in for the previous owner. Once clean the bottom was epoxy primed and then painted. I think I'll put some undercoating in a couple spots.

Goal of the car is street/strip but more street.

Right now the engine is a 5.9 magnum, iron eq heads, Hughes cam, air gap intake, demon carb and dougs headers. Future goal is either a procharger, or maybe torque storm setup. Might even do a turbo deal, but when I do that I'll clean, repaint engine bay as well.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There's a local Mopar race at US131 on Sept 9, so my goal is to have it rolling by then.

I had a Dana 60 housing laying around, but I decent to put a "8-4/4" in it. I built the housing a while back for someone else, but they changed wheel combo mid way so ended up too short and I've been debating what to do with it. So I said hell with it and I'll put it in here.

The case will be a thru bolt aluminum, 35 spline spool/axles, 3.70 pro gears. The springs I moved in already for the previous owner and I believe are older HD springs I believe. They'll suffice for now but down the road will be Calvert springs and assassin traction bars.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tires are Nitto NT555R. They're on new 15x10 steel wheels, wheel vintique, and essentially dictated rear end width.

I just finished painting the wheels body color the other day, waiting for the fronts to come in.

As you can see on the 8-4/4, I had to notch the back brace to clear the shocks. Pretty sweet piece, at the powder coater now.

Haven't decided on what shocks, thinking I might toss some Vikings on it and see how they do. It already has factory disc up front and will be getting disc in the back as well.

Was also able to get the 4 speed pedal assembly and linkage in the car, waiting on crossmember from powder coater and hopefully get the trans in. A lot of crap to do for that timeline.

Trans is finished and bolted up, same with shifter linkage. All the powder coated pieces are done as well. Still waiting on axles from Dr. Diff but getting closer.

Z-bar linkage is a pain. I'm using Dougs headers and it hits right in the middle of the tube. I think the tti modified would probably work but just going to cut the tab off mine and put it where it needs to be. Other than that the QuickTime looks to be a pretty nice piece.

image.jpeg

C4CCEEFD-5736-4576-8F3C-5AD42A885945.jpeg

I was going to say go with the Dana because my four-speed did in a new eight and three-quarter 489 case within about 20 passes at the dragstrip again that was full Slick's. Then I seen the picture of you're eight and three quarter housing and I was like oh yeah that looks like it will hold LOL.
8 4/4 = 9? Am I missing something here?
I know there's a couple different brackets that attach to the bellhousing side depending on what car that make it line up correctly. I know I was using a used set up and ended up that was the one piece I had to buy to correct the geometry.

Thank you! Didn’t get the 8. 4/4 pun at first! Nice looking build!

Correct it is a 9”. Not a single factory piece in it so we can call it whatever.lol

Got housing back, and assembly back under the car. Had some wiring to straighten out in the trunk.

Axles also came in from Dr.Diff. The Steelers are on and they just clear the Right Stuff disc conversion. Hoping to take it to Martin tomorrow but weather looks like crap.

I used some of the AndyF lower shock plates with the straddle mount. They work great but they did need to be clearanced atouch on the top radius to clear the bottom of the Viking DA shock.

0277EA7D-7E94-4C9F-8BBB-78EDEB17FDC7.jpeg

D0CAC9FC-DD07-4CBD-AF7A-3330C9C7BC1C.jpeg

6DFAF5ED-7FE5-45E9-B2D3-6706BFC284C4.jpeg

6DD2802A-1E31-4A97-8D60-20B162DB0C61.jpeg

B00A1CDC-7179-4B44-9D63-D918959B7314.jpeg

any idea what that rear weighs incl the calipers and hats? My S60 was right around 197

Not sure what it weighs. I’ve built a lot of Dana’s over the years and I’d bet 10-15 or so lighter just from tossing it around.

Took for maiden voyage. Clutch needed a bit of adjustment and carb must have done crap in it. Want to load up and run a little rough so going to have to straighten that out.

114F3C9B-1C51-4822-8FBA-0036602C771B.jpeg

-
Back