'70s Murray Wildcat bike project?

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
anyone know anything about these bikes or have experience fiddling with em?

my friend just gave me one for free. the pedal assembly is locked up and it needs two new wheels. I have always wanted a muscle bike and my friends mom restores shwinn stingrays but she refuses to help on this bike as its a Murray. I plan on making it a rat rod kinda. the fenders are rusty but still have chrome on them.I think it has the potential to be way cool. Ill get some pics up when I get it home here in a bit

Pictures but no oversize ones please
Already resized 'em this time:D

Don't worry, the tassles are gonna go
NEkq9tb.jpg

Hey DarTT get some of this WD40 spray it works. At Wal mart they also have a line of sprays for bicycles on their website.

product-penetrant.png

Looks like a wildkitty lol, that's a girls bike.

To hell if I care. :glasses7: Free is free and I have always wanted an old school bike to just mess around with. I think when I get done with it, it'll be pretty cool:D

No offense meant buddy, just saying, I think it's a pretty rad bike. Even for a girls bike lol

Hey DarTT get some of this WD40 spray it works. At Wal mart they also have a line of sprays for bicycles on their website.

product-penetrant.png
I'll go grab some today. Thanks!:prayer:

do some cutting buy an engine kit and make it a real muscle bike. i got a late
60s western flyer muscle bike and threw an engine kit on it and it would do
wheelies. sorry for the size of the picture.
209038_212073238811668_7621875_o.jpg

badass bike man!

anyone know where to get some new rims for this thing?

and anyone know why the girls bike have the top frame bar much lower? I can't count how many times I have racked my balls on that bar on my BMX bikes

badass bike man!

anyone know where to get some new rims for this thing?

and anyone know why the girls bike have the top frame bar much lower? I can't count how many times I have racked my balls on that bar on my BMX bikes

any 20 inch rear wheel will work. front wheels on these old bikes are different
cause the hub and axle are a little smaller.

also the bar is much lower on girls bikes because they needed room for their
dresses to hang. no joke

Andyzell, that bike is super cool! Where did you get the engine kit? I have a Red '64 Schwinn Typhoon cruiser in great shape.

Idk on the rims? Around here they are pretty easy to find. I've built a bunch of old cruisers that's a good start. As for the middle bar I just had the same discussion with my gf lol. I think it's more that originally girls didn't wear pants so the bent bar made it easier and less revealing when they got on a bike.

Idk on the rims? Around here they are pretty easy to find. I've built a bunch of old cruisers that's a good start. As for the middle bar I just had the same discussion with my gf lol. I think it's more that originally girls didn't wear pants so the bent bar made it easier and less revealing when they got on a bike.

That is correct back in the day girls wore skirts and dresses.

any 20 inch rear wheel will work. front wheels on these old bikes are different
cause the hub and axle are a little smaller.

also the bar is much lower on girls bikes because they needed room for their
dresses to hang. no joke

thanks Andy, I actually think they are 16" rims, but I will double check tonight

and that answers that!

glad to hear its a good starting point. the pedal assembly still refuses to move at all though. gonna try and get some PB Blaster tonight or something.

That is correct back in the day girls wore skirts and dresses.

welp, I don't swear a dress but atleast I wont be racking my nuts anymore lmao! maybe if I find a decent girl, I will give her the bike. but that's doubtful lol

I am kinda thinking about a springer front end for the bike. But for right now I nam just gonna try and get it as disassembled as possible without breaking much. The sissy bar already broke in two :banghead:

On pedals, the left side thread is (normally) reverse threaded. For the crank, the right side is (again, normally, except for a few old French and Italian designs) reverse threaded. I'd check over the frame for any weak spots in the frame walls if you plan on riding it, as broken frames totally suck when ou're on the bike.

You should fully expect the seatpost to be seized... and the seatpost bolt to just shear off.

Back then, Murray, Schwinn, and the rest were still nice bikes, made in the U.S., now, well... I won't comment on them now.

I've been collecting old bikes, and racing modern ones, for a lot longer than I've been working on cars - Collecting and bringing them back to life is a lot like bringing a muscle car back to life, just a lot cheaper!

Should be a fun project, can't wait to see the finished product!

-
Back