71 340 Duster gauge problems

-

MrDuster

Reaction score
Looking for some FABO expertise to help me out here. Original 71 340 Duster, rally dash, with no air, smog junk removed, Mallory dual point distributor…pretty standard. I thought I'd have it back on the street this week, but had some carb issues. Contacted RustyRatRod and he's putting together a SuperQuad to get me going. In the meantime, I'd like to fix some gauge issues and need some guidance in where/how to start. I'm not gentle at taking things apart, but I do have a mechanic friend willing to help. None of my factory gauges work. My speedometer works (recently replaced), and I have an under dash water temperature gauge that was steady at 190 when we ran the car this week. I did find the unprotected connector to a factory sender on the intake manifold (pax side near distributor) touching the intake manifold…might have been that way for a long time. I put a new gas tank and sender in and am reading high ohms at the sender(put 5 gal in), but nothing at the gauge. Grounded the sender and still no reading at the gauge. Alternator wasn't charging…took to auto zone and it checked bad, so I bought and installed a new one. Thought the resistor was bad as 12.5 in and out, only to learn it has to be tested while running…so I'm waiting for the new carb to re-test it. I've never taken a dash out of anything, and mine was redone back in the 90's and pretty nice…I don't want to screw it up. I also have the three bezel cones for the rally dash which need to be reattached. I plan to hot wax them in once the dash is out…never done that before either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Mark

-
Back