71 Colt coming to Texas!

-

Hyper_pak

Old School Chrysler Fan
Reaction score
Some of you know my 71 Colt and my 62 Lancer Wagon were stolen in July here in DFW. Those cars have not been found to date. Well I found a 71 Colt in AZ on ebag and I am bringing back to Texas to build the race car! I will start a thread if it's ok with the mods when I get back next week with the car. Shame I had to go find another, but life is too short to waste time. Now I need a ton of go fast stuff so PM me if you have any stuff you need to sell, wheels, dana, lenco, fuel cell, msd, etc.

Attachments

• z5.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 607
  • z13.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 648
I can honestly say that I dont think I have ever seen one of those on the street. should be a real head turner when you are done. Id like to see a picture of what this thing could look like with some go fast parts on it.

Love those old Colts super cool!!! Always wanted to do one up!!! My cousin had one in high school lots of fun! Post pics of your progress. :)

I'm considering parting out my 68 barracuda that has bracket racer parts on it and a mid 11 sec 383.

When Chrysler got screwed with the Hemi weightbreaks in the early 70's they stuffed Hemi's into the Colts to try and fight the smallblock lost vegas and pinto beans. When I saw a 71 Colt that had been Pro Stocked, I was blown away and I have never forgotten that look. Well if you know me, I have always been a slant six guy. Sure had a 340 and a 440, but always returned to my first interest, slant six. This car will be a tube frame drag car and it will have a slant. Plans right now are Lenco ST 5 speed, Dana 4 Link and should be around 2K lbs. Going to run a FI slant around 232 ci and just run it till I get too old to do anything else.

So I need DANA, 15 inch supertricks 10 inch centered, Lenco ST 5 Speed, MSD box, etc. If you have something, just PM me and I will get back with you. Also and early Colt emblems. Thanks

Attachments

• BillyStepp_73ColtPS2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 581
  • desantis_cryder.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 529
  • UnKnown.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 584
Nice car, Hyper Pak. It reminds me of the Plymouth Arrow cars (for good reason, it's from the same family/line as the Colt) :glasses7: Always wanted an Arrow, something i could throw a 340 / 833 / 8.75" in and embarrass other import drivers :cheers:

Sorry to hear about your old colt & wagon though.

Nice car, Hyper Pak. It reminds me of the Plymouth Arrow cars (for good reason, it's from the same family/line as the Colt) :glasses7: Always wanted an Arrow, something i could throw a 340 / 833 / 8.75" in and embarrass other import drivers :cheers:

Sorry to hear about your old colt & wagon though.

Yea I hear you they are cousins but I just can't pull the trigger on the Arrow. From your list of cars you don't need another but there is a Killer Deal on Racing Junk for Paul Gentilozzi's Arrow. It's 16500 turn key with a 340. This is a body in white car with lots of history. Check out those SOCKS! Super good deal on a ready to race car. I started to buy it, but just can't get over the Colt.

Attachments

• PaulGentilozzi.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 551
When Chrysler got screwed with the Hemi weightbreaks in the early 70's they stuffed Hemi's into the Colts to try and fight the smallblock lost vegas and pinto beans. When I saw a 71 Colt that had been Pro Stocked, I was blown away and I have never forgotten that look. Well if you know me, I have always been a slant six guy. Sure had a 340 and a 440, but always returned to my first interest, slant six. This car will be a tube frame drag car and it will have a slant. Plans right now are Lenco ST 5 speed, Dana 4 Link and should be around 2K lbs. Going to run a FI slant around 232 ci and just run it till I get too old to do anything else.

So I need DANA, 15 inch supertricks 10 inch centered, Lenco ST 5 Speed, MSD box, etc. If you have something, just PM me and I will get back with you. Also and early Colt emblems. Thanks

Here's a few photos I took back in the day at The U.S. Nationals, Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove, WI, Minnesota Dragways and the Holiday Inn in Brooklyn Center, MN. In the last Ronald Lyles Photo notice my old Duster right behind the Colt and the Purple 1970 Super Bee in the background.

Attachments

• RodShop_Colt_GreatLakes.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 539
  • RodShop_Colt_Indy.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 554
  • RLyles_Colt_HolidayInn.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 535
  • RLyles_Colt_MNDragways.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 508
  • RLyles_Colt.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 537
  • SoxMartin_Colt_MNDragways.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 537
Cool pix! I cut my drag racing teeth at Minnesota Dragway. Man, that was a long time ago!!! Thanks for posting these. L8r

Jim

Thanks for sharing those pictures, Fantastic shots and if you blinked in thoses days, you missed it! I appeciate you sharing them. Stan

Attachments

• MrNormsColt.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 554
Fun to share them! Now I know why I held on to them all these years. I have a ton more from that era, as I scan them in I'll do some new threads!

Got back last night from Tuscon with the Colt. It needs a lot of work but it's just the project I need. No good pictures as it was dark when I loaded it and I can't good pictures in the trailer. I will get it out and clean it and post some pictures. Man I am getting old, that 2000 mile road trip from friday night to sunday night kicked my ***! Love that cummins though, she said, bring it on!

Stan, glad you got the Colt but.....ya could have had an Arrow!!!! Regardless, no doubt there will be a killer slant 6 under the hood soon. Let me know if you need anything from the east coast.

Your slant brother
Bob

Yea I know, I know. But "at the end of the day" I gota make me happy. You will see, the first time I let you drive it you will see. Trust me bro. Thats what makes the world go round. I will run my colt and you can run your arrow! Maybe that is the deal, not a 68 but a 77? Think about it!

Congrats!! Hope they find your other stuff, makes me sick :banghead:

I did read your short article in the new Mopar Collectors Guide Magazine today, hope the ad helps. Can't wait for pics, love those Colts, always wanted one for a driver!!

Stan,its Jared. Sweet colt man:burnout: Im glad you finally got a project to take your mind off of all the crap you went through. If you need ANY help building that thing,just give me a holler!

Jared

I haven't worked on my junk in a while thanks to my job. Glad I have a job but I am not getting anything done for me. Well I did some CL searches and found these! I just picked them up today and I am stoked! Garage Art and the glow on the Colt will help me get going. Check um out.

Attachments

• IMG_6242_35.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_6241_35.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_6243_35.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_6246_35.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 373
Haven't posted on this tread since last year. But I have been getting stuff together. Here are a few pictures. 73 Grill. Bellhousing mocked up for the clutch, this is a 440 2 piece. All the wheels are here, 2 15 X 10's and 2 15 X 3.5's. A MSD box from Will. And last but not least a 3 Weber setup for the slant. Want to get the wagon done and covered up before I start cutting and making sparks!

Attachments

• MalaysiaGrill.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_6768.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 286
  • DSCN0312_20.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 272
Man I had a 3x2 weber setup on my 71 240z once it got above 3000 rpm's it loved them and they had a nice sound sucking that air in.

-
Back