71 Dakota100 suspension build

-

Craig Burriss

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m finally getting around to starting on my ‘71 D100 that I’ve had sitting in the background.
When I bought this truck, it “yard drove”. Floors were as strong as a used paper straw and more see through than your screen door, brakes nonexistent, and the steering was like trying to lead an unbroken horse.
I bought the truck with the intention of practicing and improving my fabrication skills and hopefully ending up with a cool truck.
Some of you may remember my story of buying half of a ‘94 Dodge Dakota from a shroom head. I plan on using that front end in this truck. IFS, rack and pinion steering, disc brakes, easily adaptable to the 5x4.5 bolt pattern, and clears 15” wheels. The Dakota front track width is 6.75” narrower than the factory D100 width. 59.75” vs 66.5”. So I’ll be cutting it in half and widening it, then chopping the D100 frame off near the firewall and welding the new widened Dakota front end in its place. I’ll probably weld the very front of the original frame back on so the core support has something to line up to.
I’m sure many of you will say “just buy the QA1 bolt in kit”. But that defeats the whole purpose of why I bought the truck, and that kit costs 3 times what I paid for the whole truck.
It will have a 440, 3 on tree, 8.75. I’ll probably paint it the newer Jeep “Bikini Pearl” color. And I’m still going to use it as a truck.
I’ll try to keep this thread updated as I go.

IMG_7892.jpeg

IMG_7893.jpeg

IMG_4386.jpeg

Sounds like an interesting project; but honestly, wouldn't a Volare front clip be a better fit? Builders have been using them for years, and the width is more in line with your truck. It's pretty easy, since it's all self contained-steering suspension, steering, and 5x4.5 disc brakes, all in one package. Easy to remove in the boneyard, and easy to install in just about anything. (and it's already got the motor mounts and clears all the standard Mopar oil pans)

Cool!

Sounds like an interesting project; but honestly, wouldn't a Volare front clip be a better fit? Builders have been using them for years, and the width is more in line with your truck. It's pretty easy, since it's all self contained-steering suspension, steering, and 5x4.5 disc brakes, all in one package. Easy to remove in the boneyard, and easy to install in just about anything. (and it's already got the motor mounts and clears all the standard Mopar oil pans)

I get the impression this project is less about the easy way and more about using what comes available. Little surprised to hear an F-Body front end is wider than a Dakota, too. I would have guessed the Datoka would be wider.

Sounds pretty similar to the Crown Vic swap. But I’m already committed to doing this and I don’t mind the challenge.

I like the idea. I've had a 69 D-200 & so far, 4 Dakotas (The 2000 I've bought back) The 96 & earlier ones are super easy to swap to a 5 on 4-1/2" BC & I think the hardest part of the swap would be putting the rack & pinion set up from a (2wd) Dakota on. They make racks in different widths so getting a correct one shouldn't be hard. That truck will handle SO much better, & R&P set ups are why 2wd Dakotas handled so good. I believe Schumacher or Bouchillon makes the engine swap brackets too. I'm pretty sure almost all of the front suspension parts for the Dakota (All generations) are still easy to get also.

-
Back