71 Dart horn

-

JetScreamer

Reaction score
Hello, hello. I have a question for you all. I have a 71 Dart Swinger and the horn doesn't seem to be working. I appears that the horn is in the steering wheel rim. Squeezing the rim doesn't make it work. I haven't checked the horns themselves to see if they work yet. The service manual doesn't really talk about this type of wheel. Has anybody had any dealings with these steering wheels, how to work on them, how to remove it, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

JS

steering%20wheel.jpg

Pull the center cap off, then it should make sense how the wheel and adapter come off.
Its called a rim blow steering wheel

inside the rubber band on the inside of the wheel are two flat metal bands that are held apart on the edges. When you squeeze the wheel (thumb on inside fingers on outside) it presses the two metal bands together and the contact blows the horn. I think someone makes a kit to replace the rubber and metal bands if that is what is wrong.

If you get too frustrated and want to ditch the rimblow, I'll buy it from you.

How does the cap come off? Does it twist off or do you unscrew the 3 allen bolts?

The allen bolts are fake. Try pulling straight up on the outer part of the center cap. It should come off that way...

Cool thanks for all the info. I'm going to keep the wheel, I'm just not too familiar with this type of wheel. Good to know there is a resto place that has parts.

-
Back